Sep 1, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT
A handful of smaller moves are taking note here today. Listen up for all your roster obsessing needs.
Brandon Segal spent last season with the Dallas Stars organization playing in 46 games in Dallas scoring five goals and adding five assists. In 30 games in the AHL with the Texas Stars, Segal tallied seven goals and ten assists. He’s a speedy rough and tumble sort of forward who can drive the net hard and dig in the corners. He’ll try to land a job in Chicago out of training camp, but he might prove to be more of a factor for the Blackhawks’ AHL team in Rockford.
Ryan Johnson is an experienced, journeyman center in the NHL and is best known for his faceoff ability and skills as a checking forward. Johnson spent last season playing in Chicago. In 34 games, he had one goal and five assists averaging just over 10 minutes of ice time per game. He’s a fourth line player and with Kris Draper now retired in Detroit, there’s a virtual open audition to see who could be that 13th forward off the bench. At 35 years-old, Johnson isn’t going to catch anyone by surprise and he’s also got an injury history to contend with as well. Still, he’s effective when healthy and getting a shot with a veteran team like Detroit makes sense.
One thing the Jets will be lacking in Winnipeg this year is someone to get physical with opposing sluggers. Enter David Koci as a potential answer to the void in Manitoba. Koci will be getting a tryout with Winnipeg to see if he can be an effective enforcer. Koci struggled with his play and with injury in Colorado the past couple seasons. Koci is strictly a fighter and his skill set is limited. If he wins a job with the Jets, whenever he suits up you’ll know who to put your money on to stir things up.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)