Sep 1, 2011, 4:10 PM EST
A handful of smaller moves are taking note here today. Listen up for all your roster obsessing needs.
Brandon Segal spent last season with the Dallas Stars organization playing in 46 games in Dallas scoring five goals and adding five assists. In 30 games in the AHL with the Texas Stars, Segal tallied seven goals and ten assists. He’s a speedy rough and tumble sort of forward who can drive the net hard and dig in the corners. He’ll try to land a job in Chicago out of training camp, but he might prove to be more of a factor for the Blackhawks’ AHL team in Rockford.
Ryan Johnson is an experienced, journeyman center in the NHL and is best known for his faceoff ability and skills as a checking forward. Johnson spent last season playing in Chicago. In 34 games, he had one goal and five assists averaging just over 10 minutes of ice time per game. He’s a fourth line player and with Kris Draper now retired in Detroit, there’s a virtual open audition to see who could be that 13th forward off the bench. At 35 years-old, Johnson isn’t going to catch anyone by surprise and he’s also got an injury history to contend with as well. Still, he’s effective when healthy and getting a shot with a veteran team like Detroit makes sense.
One thing the Jets will be lacking in Winnipeg this year is someone to get physical with opposing sluggers. Enter David Koci as a potential answer to the void in Manitoba. Koci will be getting a tryout with Winnipeg to see if he can be an effective enforcer. Koci struggled with his play and with injury in Colorado the past couple seasons. Koci is strictly a fighter and his skill set is limited. If he wins a job with the Jets, whenever he suits up you’ll know who to put your money on to stir things up.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11