Sep 1, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT
A handful of smaller moves are taking note here today. Listen up for all your roster obsessing needs.
Brandon Segal spent last season with the Dallas Stars organization playing in 46 games in Dallas scoring five goals and adding five assists. In 30 games in the AHL with the Texas Stars, Segal tallied seven goals and ten assists. He’s a speedy rough and tumble sort of forward who can drive the net hard and dig in the corners. He’ll try to land a job in Chicago out of training camp, but he might prove to be more of a factor for the Blackhawks’ AHL team in Rockford.
Ryan Johnson is an experienced, journeyman center in the NHL and is best known for his faceoff ability and skills as a checking forward. Johnson spent last season playing in Chicago. In 34 games, he had one goal and five assists averaging just over 10 minutes of ice time per game. He’s a fourth line player and with Kris Draper now retired in Detroit, there’s a virtual open audition to see who could be that 13th forward off the bench. At 35 years-old, Johnson isn’t going to catch anyone by surprise and he’s also got an injury history to contend with as well. Still, he’s effective when healthy and getting a shot with a veteran team like Detroit makes sense.
One thing the Jets will be lacking in Winnipeg this year is someone to get physical with opposing sluggers. Enter David Koci as a potential answer to the void in Manitoba. Koci will be getting a tryout with Winnipeg to see if he can be an effective enforcer. Koci struggled with his play and with injury in Colorado the past couple seasons. Koci is strictly a fighter and his skill set is limited. If he wins a job with the Jets, whenever he suits up you’ll know who to put your money on to stir things up.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)