Aug 31, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
If you’re unaware of the ongoing feud between the NCAA, specifically College Hockey Inc., and the Canadian Hockey League, The Sporting News’ Craig Custance breaks everything down for you easily in his piece discussing the ugly battle between the organizations to bring in the best young hockey talent in North America.
While both sides of the battle dig in and engage in their own sort of turf war and mudslinging campaign to prove that their group is the best one for a young, hopeful NHL talent, the NHL stands on the sidelines watching it all unfold carefully while their own Collective Bargaining Agreement may be the thing helping make this feud all the more difficult.
With the salary cap being what it is and teams needing to continue developing their own talent, more and more young players are getting the call to fill out the organizational ranks. That means more kids sign on and turn pro which means college hockey takes a hit with each kid that jumps to the pros early as the NCAA is a strictly amateur organization. Once you start getting paid to play, you’re done in college. Such is not the case in the CHL and a big reason why more kids are winding up there rather than sticking to NCAA commitments among other reasons.
Just how ugly and awkward is it though? Custance details things from both sides hearing from College Hockey Inc.’s Paul Kelly and CHL commissioner David Branch among others. If you want to know more of what the deal in the amateur ranks, consider this your Cliffs Notes.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)