Aug 30, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Sure, the Boston Bruins’ Stanley Cup victory was about the “big things” like the all-world play of Tim Thomas, the sizable impact of Zdeno Chara and David Krejci leading the playoffs in scoring. Still, many championship runs are also about those moments when attention to detail pays off, including when Michael Ryder made a glove save of his own during the 2011 playoffs.
Sometimes you underestimate those little things … and sometimes you just underestimate the importance of a sturdy table. As you can see from the video from The Telegram below (H/T to Puck Daddy), Ryder placed the Cup on a table only to see it crash to the ground moments later after the table collapsed. An onlooker joked that it was the Cup’s first “ding of the day,” a reference to the fact that the silver chalice has taken its fair share of blows over the years.
That gaffe might overshadow the rest of Ryder’s day with the Cup, but you can follow along with The Telegram’s updates about his plans here. The ceremony in that video was part of a “send-off” in St. John’s as Ryder is expected to take a helicopter ride to his old stomping grounds at Bonavista for a parade and the bigger part of his celebration. Hopefully the Cup won’t take any more abuse in that process …
Ryder won’t have a chance to do a better job of protecting the Cup with the Bruins next season because he signed with the Dallas Stars as a free agent. One can assume that the Stars hope he’ll be a little luckier there than he was this morning.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)