Aug 30, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Sure, the Boston Bruins’ Stanley Cup victory was about the “big things” like the all-world play of Tim Thomas, the sizable impact of Zdeno Chara and David Krejci leading the playoffs in scoring. Still, many championship runs are also about those moments when attention to detail pays off, including when Michael Ryder made a glove save of his own during the 2011 playoffs.
Sometimes you underestimate those little things … and sometimes you just underestimate the importance of a sturdy table. As you can see from the video from The Telegram below (H/T to Puck Daddy), Ryder placed the Cup on a table only to see it crash to the ground moments later after the table collapsed. An onlooker joked that it was the Cup’s first “ding of the day,” a reference to the fact that the silver chalice has taken its fair share of blows over the years.
That gaffe might overshadow the rest of Ryder’s day with the Cup, but you can follow along with The Telegram’s updates about his plans here. The ceremony in that video was part of a “send-off” in St. John’s as Ryder is expected to take a helicopter ride to his old stomping grounds at Bonavista for a parade and the bigger part of his celebration. Hopefully the Cup won’t take any more abuse in that process …
Ryder won’t have a chance to do a better job of protecting the Cup with the Bruins next season because he signed with the Dallas Stars as a free agent. One can assume that the Stars hope he’ll be a little luckier there than he was this morning.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 27
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)