Aug 30, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Sure, the Boston Bruins’ Stanley Cup victory was about the “big things” like the all-world play of Tim Thomas, the sizable impact of Zdeno Chara and David Krejci leading the playoffs in scoring. Still, many championship runs are also about those moments when attention to detail pays off, including when Michael Ryder made a glove save of his own during the 2011 playoffs.
Sometimes you underestimate those little things … and sometimes you just underestimate the importance of a sturdy table. As you can see from the video from The Telegram below (H/T to Puck Daddy), Ryder placed the Cup on a table only to see it crash to the ground moments later after the table collapsed. An onlooker joked that it was the Cup’s first “ding of the day,” a reference to the fact that the silver chalice has taken its fair share of blows over the years.
That gaffe might overshadow the rest of Ryder’s day with the Cup, but you can follow along with The Telegram’s updates about his plans here. The ceremony in that video was part of a “send-off” in St. John’s as Ryder is expected to take a helicopter ride to his old stomping grounds at Bonavista for a parade and the bigger part of his celebration. Hopefully the Cup won’t take any more abuse in that process …
Ryder won’t have a chance to do a better job of protecting the Cup with the Bruins next season because he signed with the Dallas Stars as a free agent. One can assume that the Stars hope he’ll be a little luckier there than he was this morning.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 19
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 80
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)