Aug 30, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Sure, the Boston Bruins’ Stanley Cup victory was about the “big things” like the all-world play of Tim Thomas, the sizable impact of Zdeno Chara and David Krejci leading the playoffs in scoring. Still, many championship runs are also about those moments when attention to detail pays off, including when Michael Ryder made a glove save of his own during the 2011 playoffs.
Sometimes you underestimate those little things … and sometimes you just underestimate the importance of a sturdy table. As you can see from the video from The Telegram below (H/T to Puck Daddy), Ryder placed the Cup on a table only to see it crash to the ground moments later after the table collapsed. An onlooker joked that it was the Cup’s first “ding of the day,” a reference to the fact that the silver chalice has taken its fair share of blows over the years.
That gaffe might overshadow the rest of Ryder’s day with the Cup, but you can follow along with The Telegram’s updates about his plans here. The ceremony in that video was part of a “send-off” in St. John’s as Ryder is expected to take a helicopter ride to his old stomping grounds at Bonavista for a parade and the bigger part of his celebration. Hopefully the Cup won’t take any more abuse in that process …
Ryder won’t have a chance to do a better job of protecting the Cup with the Bruins next season because he signed with the Dallas Stars as a free agent. One can assume that the Stars hope he’ll be a little luckier there than he was this morning.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)