Aug 28, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
Here are a few quick and interesting stories during the last weekend of August.
- Lyle “Spector” Richardson looks at two interesting stories out of Canada today. While it’s interesting that Vancouver Canucks forward Cody Hodgson is working with notorious hockey villain Claude Lemieux on his “preparation, footwork and shooting” the highlight of the two stories is Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray’s quaint views about technology.
Adrian Dater wrote an amusing piece for SI.com about how “team bonding suffers” thanks to modern gadgets such as smart phones, as players “have created insular worlds” where they even (gasp) might text members from other teams from time to time. (If you ask me, it all really started with those pesky Walkmen *shakes walking cane angrily* … )
Look, it’s annoying when you’re having a conversation with someone who refuses to look up from their text messages, but people who think that players aren’t bonding with their teammates anymore clearly haven’t witnessed the triple low-five in all of its glory.
Then again, maybe society really is falling apart one emoticon-filled text message/game of “Angry Birds” at a time.
- Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy takes a look at today’s landscape for head coaching in the NHL compared to 10 years ago. He actually found that coaches experience a slight bit of extra job security, as the average job spans 2.8 years instead of 2.5. Beyond lifers like Lindy Ruff and Barry Trotz, Wyshynski says that five seasons is the new benchmark for longevity among coaches. It’s a tough racket.
- Finally, here is today’s evidence of the power of spontaneous street hockey. Weather concerns provided the rare opportunity for a shirts and skins game in Times Square, which you can see in the video below (via Kukla’s Korner).
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 30
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5