Aug 28, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
Here are a few quick and interesting stories during the last weekend of August.
- Lyle “Spector” Richardson looks at two interesting stories out of Canada today. While it’s interesting that Vancouver Canucks forward Cody Hodgson is working with notorious hockey villain Claude Lemieux on his “preparation, footwork and shooting” the highlight of the two stories is Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray’s quaint views about technology.
Adrian Dater wrote an amusing piece for SI.com about how “team bonding suffers” thanks to modern gadgets such as smart phones, as players “have created insular worlds” where they even (gasp) might text members from other teams from time to time. (If you ask me, it all really started with those pesky Walkmen *shakes walking cane angrily* … )
Look, it’s annoying when you’re having a conversation with someone who refuses to look up from their text messages, but people who think that players aren’t bonding with their teammates anymore clearly haven’t witnessed the triple low-five in all of its glory.
Then again, maybe society really is falling apart one emoticon-filled text message/game of “Angry Birds” at a time.
- Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy takes a look at today’s landscape for head coaching in the NHL compared to 10 years ago. He actually found that coaches experience a slight bit of extra job security, as the average job spans 2.8 years instead of 2.5. Beyond lifers like Lindy Ruff and Barry Trotz, Wyshynski says that five seasons is the new benchmark for longevity among coaches. It’s a tough racket.
- Finally, here is today’s evidence of the power of spontaneous street hockey. Weather concerns provided the rare opportunity for a shirts and skins game in Times Square, which you can see in the video below (via Kukla’s Korner).
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13