Aug 28, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
Here are a few quick and interesting stories during the last weekend of August.
- Lyle “Spector” Richardson looks at two interesting stories out of Canada today. While it’s interesting that Vancouver Canucks forward Cody Hodgson is working with notorious hockey villain Claude Lemieux on his “preparation, footwork and shooting” the highlight of the two stories is Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray’s quaint views about technology.
Adrian Dater wrote an amusing piece for SI.com about how “team bonding suffers” thanks to modern gadgets such as smart phones, as players “have created insular worlds” where they even (gasp) might text members from other teams from time to time. (If you ask me, it all really started with those pesky Walkmen *shakes walking cane angrily* … )
Look, it’s annoying when you’re having a conversation with someone who refuses to look up from their text messages, but people who think that players aren’t bonding with their teammates anymore clearly haven’t witnessed the triple low-five in all of its glory.
Then again, maybe society really is falling apart one emoticon-filled text message/game of “Angry Birds” at a time.
- Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy takes a look at today’s landscape for head coaching in the NHL compared to 10 years ago. He actually found that coaches experience a slight bit of extra job security, as the average job spans 2.8 years instead of 2.5. Beyond lifers like Lindy Ruff and Barry Trotz, Wyshynski says that five seasons is the new benchmark for longevity among coaches. It’s a tough racket.
- Finally, here is today’s evidence of the power of spontaneous street hockey. Weather concerns provided the rare opportunity for a shirts and skins game in Times Square, which you can see in the video below (via Kukla’s Korner).
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)