Aug 26, 2011, 2:38 PM EST
Last night we got wind of Logan Couture nailing down a two-year contract extension with the Sharks. Today, San Jose officially announced the deal and with it the details of his contract came forth. Getting last year’s Calder Trophy finalist and 32 goal-scorer signed up to a two-year, $5.75 million deal is a thing of beauty for Sharks general manager Doug Wilson.
Couture is just 22 years-old and putting up 32 goals in his first full NHL season on a team brimming with talent and Stanley Cup hopes is a great thing. Getting him locked up for those two years at a $2.875 million cap hit is incredible. Couture was set to become a restricted free agent after this season and with how tricky that process has become for some teams (look at how Shea Weber and Zach Parise were handled) the Sharks were wise to get something done now.
While there’s still the possibility of labor issues making next season uncomfortable for teams, Couture’s deal is friendly beyond belief for the Sharks. Look at how the other salaries shake out for San Jose via CapGeek. With Couture’s $2.875 cap hit it makes him the sixth highest paid forward. For a guy that scored as many goals and points as Couture did, it’s a steal if he continues to score like that. If he turns into the second coming of Jonathan Cheechoo, then it’s not quite as good.
Still, at 22 years-old Couture is expected to only get better and that means the Sharks have one hell of a bargain on their hands for the next two years. With Devin Setoguchi and Dany Heatley now gone from San Jose, the pressure to continue scoring falls to Couture. Wilson and the rest of the Sharks brass hope that he thrives being given the opportunity.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 30
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 80
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)