Aug 26, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
First, fans were eagerly waiting to find out the new name for the team that relocated to Winnipeg. Once the organization announced the
old new team name at the NHL
Entry Draft in June, people were clamoring for the new logo. Once the logo was leaked (then quickly released) in July, fans wanted a look at the new jerseys. Well, two out of three isn’t so bad.
Jets Director of Corporate Communications, Scott Brown, told the Winnipeg Free Press that the team’s prospects would wear practice jerseys when they take the ice in the NHL Young Stars Tournament in Penticton, BC. The tournament had been tabbed as the first opportunity for fans to see the new jerseys on members of the organization—but it looks like fans will have to wait just a little bit longer.
At this point, the actual jersey is one of the only mysteries left for the reincarnation of the Jets. The new pants and even the new helmets have already started filtering their way out of Winnipeg:
“Blake Wheeler used his Twitter account to showcase a picture of the team’s pants earlier this week and Eric Fehr was spotted wearing a helmet with a Jets’ logo on it on Wednesday, but the whole look likely won’t be unveiled until around the team’s first pre-season games on Sept. 20 with split-squad tilts against the Columbus Blue Jackets at the MTS Centre and Nationwide Arena in Ohio.”
The one thing we know about the new jerseys is that the phony jerseys out there are nowhere near close to the real deal. Since announcing the new name, the Jets organization has repeatedly said that they want to remain true to the Jets former history while updating the look. Some fans were disappointed with the new logo because it was “uninspired;” while others were disappointed because the team wouldn’t use the previous logo. The reaction to the new jerseys will probably be similar. You can please some of the people sometimes; but you can’t please all the people all of the time.
Until then, we’ll just wait. Judging by the Winnipeg Free Press’ report, we’ll have to wait just a little bit longer than we thought we would.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 0
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 20
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)