Aug 26, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
First, fans were eagerly waiting to find out the new name for the team that relocated to Winnipeg. Once the organization announced the
old new team name at the NHL
Entry Draft in June, people were clamoring for the new logo. Once the logo was leaked (then quickly released) in July, fans wanted a look at the new jerseys. Well, two out of three isn’t so bad.
Jets Director of Corporate Communications, Scott Brown, told the Winnipeg Free Press that the team’s prospects would wear practice jerseys when they take the ice in the NHL Young Stars Tournament in Penticton, BC. The tournament had been tabbed as the first opportunity for fans to see the new jerseys on members of the organization—but it looks like fans will have to wait just a little bit longer.
At this point, the actual jersey is one of the only mysteries left for the reincarnation of the Jets. The new pants and even the new helmets have already started filtering their way out of Winnipeg:
“Blake Wheeler used his Twitter account to showcase a picture of the team’s pants earlier this week and Eric Fehr was spotted wearing a helmet with a Jets’ logo on it on Wednesday, but the whole look likely won’t be unveiled until around the team’s first pre-season games on Sept. 20 with split-squad tilts against the Columbus Blue Jackets at the MTS Centre and Nationwide Arena in Ohio.”
The one thing we know about the new jerseys is that the phony jerseys out there are nowhere near close to the real deal. Since announcing the new name, the Jets organization has repeatedly said that they want to remain true to the Jets former history while updating the look. Some fans were disappointed with the new logo because it was “uninspired;” while others were disappointed because the team wouldn’t use the previous logo. The reaction to the new jerseys will probably be similar. You can please some of the people sometimes; but you can’t please all the people all of the time.
Until then, we’ll just wait. Judging by the Winnipeg Free Press’ report, we’ll have to wait just a little bit longer than we thought we would.
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 3
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)