Aug 26, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
First, fans were eagerly waiting to find out the new name for the team that relocated to Winnipeg. Once the organization announced the
old new team name at the NHL
Entry Draft in June, people were clamoring for the new logo. Once the logo was leaked (then quickly released) in July, fans wanted a look at the new jerseys. Well, two out of three isn’t so bad.
Jets Director of Corporate Communications, Scott Brown, told the Winnipeg Free Press that the team’s prospects would wear practice jerseys when they take the ice in the NHL Young Stars Tournament in Penticton, BC. The tournament had been tabbed as the first opportunity for fans to see the new jerseys on members of the organization—but it looks like fans will have to wait just a little bit longer.
At this point, the actual jersey is one of the only mysteries left for the reincarnation of the Jets. The new pants and even the new helmets have already started filtering their way out of Winnipeg:
“Blake Wheeler used his Twitter account to showcase a picture of the team’s pants earlier this week and Eric Fehr was spotted wearing a helmet with a Jets’ logo on it on Wednesday, but the whole look likely won’t be unveiled until around the team’s first pre-season games on Sept. 20 with split-squad tilts against the Columbus Blue Jackets at the MTS Centre and Nationwide Arena in Ohio.”
The one thing we know about the new jerseys is that the phony jerseys out there are nowhere near close to the real deal. Since announcing the new name, the Jets organization has repeatedly said that they want to remain true to the Jets former history while updating the look. Some fans were disappointed with the new logo because it was “uninspired;” while others were disappointed because the team wouldn’t use the previous logo. The reaction to the new jerseys will probably be similar. You can please some of the people sometimes; but you can’t please all the people all of the time.
Until then, we’ll just wait. Judging by the Winnipeg Free Press’ report, we’ll have to wait just a little bit longer than we thought we would.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)