Aug 23, 2011, 11:52 AM EST
It happens to every NHL team. You go rooting around on Ebay or other sites looking for a good deal on your favorite team’s jersey to add to your collection. You see one well below the cost of your typical jersey and it looks virtually identical to what you can get from more reputable outlets and you bite the bullet.
How about if your favorite team hasn’t even released what their sweaters will look like yet and you can still buy them online from… Somewhere? That’s the situation the Winnipeg Jets are dealing with right now as their sweaters won’t be shown off until the start of training camp at the earliest yet there are still some “new” ones found online.
As Paul Turenne of the Winnipeg Sun finds out, the Jets management is making sure it’s well known that these jerseys are fakes and that the design of them is more than a bit suspect.
“The authentic jerseys won’t be available until October, and replica jerseys likely not until November. That comes from the manufacturer,” said Scott Brown, director of communications for True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Jets.
Nevertheless, photos purporting to be leaks of the new Jets jerseys have been circulating on the Internet for weeks.
Brown said a common one showing a dark blue jersey with the main plane logo in the middle is “not even close” to legitimate. The same goes for any other supposed sneak previews.
For Jets fans and jersey collectors alike, the wait to see the new sweaters is a bit frustrating and since we’ve already heard how the delay in showing off the new duds is going to affect the video game fans, it’s a bit annoying for them too. Still, True North is creating a lot of interest in what they’re going to be showing off and given the response of the fans in Winnipeg, they’re not going to have a problem selling the new goods once they’re out. Keeping enough stuff in stock will be a problem, however.
That said, at least one of the more reputable sites is giving you the chance to put your claim in right now to order either the home or away sweater (no, the Jets won’t have a third right off the bat) without even knowing what it looks like (stick-tap to Tyler McKinna for finding that). As we showed off in our tour of the best and worst sweaters of all-time, plunking down your hard earned bucks on a sweater that may or may not be terrible could be a gamble of an investment.
With how nice the new Jets logo looks, it’d be a relatively safe investment either way but still… What if it ended up looking like the new Islanders third jersey? Yikes. Spend wisely, friends.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54