Aug 23, 2011, 7:44 PM EST
The 1990-91 season didn’t start off particularly well for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Legendary scorer Mario Lemieux was sidelined with a major back injury and the team suffered from a slow start, going 12-16-3 in their first 31 games.
Things seemed to change thanks to three major additions: a healthy Lemieux, a trade that brought in Larry Murphy and an even bigger swap that helped them land Ron Francis. The team took off thanks to those changes, a breakout 113-point season from a young Mark Recchi, a 27-goal rookie season from Jaromir Jagr and timely contributions from a talented supporting cast. That team gelled in the later stages of the season, allowing them to win their division and first-ever Stanley Cup while paving the way for back-to-back championships.
For some, it might be hard to believe that the Penguins and city of Pittsburgh celebrated that Cup victory 20 years ago, but more than 40 former Penguins/staff members gathered at a charitable golf outing to revel in those memories.
“There’s a lot of reminiscing and a lot of laughter. Even after 20 years, the personalities don’t change. The guys that were the jokesters are still the jokesters,” defenseman Larry Murphy said. It brings back a lot of memories.”
Check out video of the event from the Penguins Web site.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)