Aug 23, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
The 1990-91 season didn’t start off particularly well for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Legendary scorer Mario Lemieux was sidelined with a major back injury and the team suffered from a slow start, going 12-16-3 in their first 31 games.
Things seemed to change thanks to three major additions: a healthy Lemieux, a trade that brought in Larry Murphy and an even bigger swap that helped them land Ron Francis. The team took off thanks to those changes, a breakout 113-point season from a young Mark Recchi, a 27-goal rookie season from Jaromir Jagr and timely contributions from a talented supporting cast. That team gelled in the later stages of the season, allowing them to win their division and first-ever Stanley Cup while paving the way for back-to-back championships.
For some, it might be hard to believe that the Penguins and city of Pittsburgh celebrated that Cup victory 20 years ago, but more than 40 former Penguins/staff members gathered at a charitable golf outing to revel in those memories.
“There’s a lot of reminiscing and a lot of laughter. Even after 20 years, the personalities don’t change. The guys that were the jokesters are still the jokesters,” defenseman Larry Murphy said. It brings back a lot of memories.”
Check out video of the event from the Penguins Web site.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)