Aug 23, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
The 1990-91 season didn’t start off particularly well for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Legendary scorer Mario Lemieux was sidelined with a major back injury and the team suffered from a slow start, going 12-16-3 in their first 31 games.
Things seemed to change thanks to three major additions: a healthy Lemieux, a trade that brought in Larry Murphy and an even bigger swap that helped them land Ron Francis. The team took off thanks to those changes, a breakout 113-point season from a young Mark Recchi, a 27-goal rookie season from Jaromir Jagr and timely contributions from a talented supporting cast. That team gelled in the later stages of the season, allowing them to win their division and first-ever Stanley Cup while paving the way for back-to-back championships.
For some, it might be hard to believe that the Penguins and city of Pittsburgh celebrated that Cup victory 20 years ago, but more than 40 former Penguins/staff members gathered at a charitable golf outing to revel in those memories.
“There’s a lot of reminiscing and a lot of laughter. Even after 20 years, the personalities don’t change. The guys that were the jokesters are still the jokesters,” defenseman Larry Murphy said. It brings back a lot of memories.”
Check out video of the event from the Penguins Web site.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)