Aug 22, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
When word surfaced that Alex Ovechkin was cutting his ties with CCM, we were bummed out because that indicated that his departure would leave an Ovechkin head-sized crater in the world of goofy hockey-related commercials. Apparently that hole will be filled with vanilla wafers, caramel, peanuts, rice crisps and chocolate – the primary sweets found in “Mr. Big” candy bars.
We probably should have known that the too-perfect pairing between Ovechkin and chocolate bars would generate some ridiculous commercials and that certainly seems to be the case judging by their first richly absurd advertisement. If you ask me, the spot achieves its goal of being entertaining, although you’ll have to ask Canadian kids if this whimsical Ovechkin commercial makes them want to eat the candy bars.
Apparently the commercial is the first part of a series of spots between Ovechkin and the candy bars, so one can only imagine what other mystical powers the all-world sniper will unveil in commercials for the chocolatey treats in the coming days/weeks/months. (You can follow their official YouTube channel here.)
Of course, some mean spirited and snarky types will react to that far-from-flattering photo of Ovechkin and say that maybe he shouldn’t take his endorsement of candy bars so seriously, but let’s ignore those fitness-related worries for now and just enjoy the show.
First, here’s the commercial.
This clip is much shorter, but it involves candy bar nunchucks, so I feel like I’d be letting you down if I didn’t share it as well.
Never change, Ovi. Never change.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 22
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 42
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 65
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 46
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)