Aug 22, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
When word surfaced that Alex Ovechkin was cutting his ties with CCM, we were bummed out because that indicated that his departure would leave an Ovechkin head-sized crater in the world of goofy hockey-related commercials. Apparently that hole will be filled with vanilla wafers, caramel, peanuts, rice crisps and chocolate – the primary sweets found in “Mr. Big” candy bars.
We probably should have known that the too-perfect pairing between Ovechkin and chocolate bars would generate some ridiculous commercials and that certainly seems to be the case judging by their first richly absurd advertisement. If you ask me, the spot achieves its goal of being entertaining, although you’ll have to ask Canadian kids if this whimsical Ovechkin commercial makes them want to eat the candy bars.
Apparently the commercial is the first part of a series of spots between Ovechkin and the candy bars, so one can only imagine what other mystical powers the all-world sniper will unveil in commercials for the chocolatey treats in the coming days/weeks/months. (You can follow their official YouTube channel here.)
Of course, some mean spirited and snarky types will react to that far-from-flattering photo of Ovechkin and say that maybe he shouldn’t take his endorsement of candy bars so seriously, but let’s ignore those fitness-related worries for now and just enjoy the show.
First, here’s the commercial.
This clip is much shorter, but it involves candy bar nunchucks, so I feel like I’d be letting you down if I didn’t share it as well.
Never change, Ovi. Never change.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 60
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (79)