Aug 22, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
When word surfaced that Alex Ovechkin was cutting his ties with CCM, we were bummed out because that indicated that his departure would leave an Ovechkin head-sized crater in the world of goofy hockey-related commercials. Apparently that hole will be filled with vanilla wafers, caramel, peanuts, rice crisps and chocolate – the primary sweets found in “Mr. Big” candy bars.
We probably should have known that the too-perfect pairing between Ovechkin and chocolate bars would generate some ridiculous commercials and that certainly seems to be the case judging by their first richly absurd advertisement. If you ask me, the spot achieves its goal of being entertaining, although you’ll have to ask Canadian kids if this whimsical Ovechkin commercial makes them want to eat the candy bars.
Apparently the commercial is the first part of a series of spots between Ovechkin and the candy bars, so one can only imagine what other mystical powers the all-world sniper will unveil in commercials for the chocolatey treats in the coming days/weeks/months. (You can follow their official YouTube channel here.)
Of course, some mean spirited and snarky types will react to that far-from-flattering photo of Ovechkin and say that maybe he shouldn’t take his endorsement of candy bars so seriously, but let’s ignore those fitness-related worries for now and just enjoy the show.
First, here’s the commercial.
This clip is much shorter, but it involves candy bar nunchucks, so I feel like I’d be letting you down if I didn’t share it as well.
Never change, Ovi. Never change.
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 23
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3