Aug 22, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
When word surfaced that Alex Ovechkin was cutting his ties with CCM, we were bummed out because that indicated that his departure would leave an Ovechkin head-sized crater in the world of goofy hockey-related commercials. Apparently that hole will be filled with vanilla wafers, caramel, peanuts, rice crisps and chocolate – the primary sweets found in “Mr. Big” candy bars.
We probably should have known that the too-perfect pairing between Ovechkin and chocolate bars would generate some ridiculous commercials and that certainly seems to be the case judging by their first richly absurd advertisement. If you ask me, the spot achieves its goal of being entertaining, although you’ll have to ask Canadian kids if this whimsical Ovechkin commercial makes them want to eat the candy bars.
Apparently the commercial is the first part of a series of spots between Ovechkin and the candy bars, so one can only imagine what other mystical powers the all-world sniper will unveil in commercials for the chocolatey treats in the coming days/weeks/months. (You can follow their official YouTube channel here.)
Of course, some mean spirited and snarky types will react to that far-from-flattering photo of Ovechkin and say that maybe he shouldn’t take his endorsement of candy bars so seriously, but let’s ignore those fitness-related worries for now and just enjoy the show.
First, here’s the commercial.
This clip is much shorter, but it involves candy bar nunchucks, so I feel like I’d be letting you down if I didn’t share it as well.
Never change, Ovi. Never change.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)