Aug 22, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT
Here are three quick hit stories from the hockey world for Monday, August 22.
- Dave Scatchard announced his retirement from the NHL via Twitter today. Scatchard revealed that he decided to hang up his skates because of concussion issues.
The rugged forward played 659 regular season games, most recently playing eight with the St. Louis Blues in 2010-11. He hasn’t been much of a fixture in the NHL the past three seasons, playing just 16 games for the Nashville Predators in 09-10 and 46 with the Phoenix Coyotes in 08-09. Scatchard played most of his career with the Vancouver Canucks and New York Islanders. His final regular season totals are 128 goals and 141 assists for 269 points with a -38 rating and 1,040 penalty minutes. He appeared in 17 postseason games – all with the Islanders – scoring two goals and two assists for four points with a -8 rating and 34 PIM.
- NHL 12 will ship with nine legends, but the in-store copies won’t include the Winnipeg Jets’ new uniforms. The new jerseys will reportedly be included in the game’s first roster update, however, although it’s unclear when exactly that first update will occur. The game will be released on September 13, so it’s no guarantee that the Jets will share their new design by then. It’s an understandable issue that EA Sports must deal with, although it could be an especially big bummer for the small subset of fans who have video game consoles but no Internet access. (Any leftover fears that this screenshot included the new Jets logo can now be put to rest, if EA’s denial of the logos wasn’t enough already.)
On the good news front, those with Internet capabilities will be delighted to know that EA is scheduled to premiere the game’s demo tomorrow on Xbox Live and Playstation Network.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)