Aug 20, 2011, 4:04 PM EDT
The Canadian Press reports that almost 1,000 people attended Rick Rypien’s funeral today. That list included family, friends and former teammates such as Kevin Bieksa (who was a pallbearer), Mason Raymond, Manny Malhotra and Alexandre Burrows. Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis and Rypien’s cousin/former NFL quarterback Mark Rypien were also in attendance (as you can seen from this post’s main photo).
The funeral procession included a scattering of different items from his playing career, including an autographed No. 37 jersey from his time with the Canucks, the only NHL team he suited up for. (The Winnipeg Jets signed him to a one-year, $700K deal in June, a promising development that made his death that much more shocking to many.) The program reportedly featured a photo of Rypien in a blue Canucks jersey with the phrase: “Until we all meet again.”
Rick Rypien’s uncle Allan spoke of his nephew’s struggles with depression.
Rypien said his nephew was battling a disease not unlike cancer.
“He fought this disease with everything he had in him,” he said. “If you knew Rick he fought with everything he had in him. Unfortunately the disease won the battle.”
“Be thankful the battle he faced is over.”
Follow the corresponding links for more about Rypien’s life and death.
- Rick Rypien found dead at 27.
- Fans, teammates and opponents remember Rypien.
- Mark Rypien speaks about his cousin’s death.
- NHL and its players association will examine their support systems after the deaths of Rypien and Derek Boogaard.
- Canucks fans gathered to pay tribute to Rypien during an informal memorial service on Wednesday.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 19
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 10
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 40
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)