Aug 20, 2011, 4:38 PM EDT
Every once in a while, a contending team quietly adds a veteran player who makes a small – but worthwhile – addition to a bid for the Stanley Cup. The Los Angeles Kings will face some harsh challenges as they attempt to progress from lovable upstarts to legitimate contenders, so it doesn’t hurt to add more bodies and leadership. It’s possible that the Kings helped themselves out in that area by signing former Edmonton Oilers captain Ethan Moreau to a one-year deal worth $600K.
Moreau is a rugged winger who should fit right into the Kings’ defensive-minded scheme, but his health might be a question. Moreau suffered from an injury-plagued season in his only campaign with the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2010-11, appearing in 37 games and managing just six points. His last two seasons in Edmonton were better (76 games in 09-10 and 77 in 08-09), but he only played in 25 games in 07-08 and 7 in 06-07.
The former Oilers captain won’t be a big scorer (he scored 18 points in 09-10 and 26 in 08-09), but he might be a helpful bottom-six contributor if he can stay healthy and skate reasonably well. It’s a low risk deal that could pay some solid dividends for the Kings, unless he’s just flat-out done.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 1
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 42
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 12
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)