Aug 20, 2011, 4:38 PM EDT
Every once in a while, a contending team quietly adds a veteran player who makes a small – but worthwhile – addition to a bid for the Stanley Cup. The Los Angeles Kings will face some harsh challenges as they attempt to progress from lovable upstarts to legitimate contenders, so it doesn’t hurt to add more bodies and leadership. It’s possible that the Kings helped themselves out in that area by signing former Edmonton Oilers captain Ethan Moreau to a one-year deal worth $600K.
Moreau is a rugged winger who should fit right into the Kings’ defensive-minded scheme, but his health might be a question. Moreau suffered from an injury-plagued season in his only campaign with the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2010-11, appearing in 37 games and managing just six points. His last two seasons in Edmonton were better (76 games in 09-10 and 77 in 08-09), but he only played in 25 games in 07-08 and 7 in 06-07.
The former Oilers captain won’t be a big scorer (he scored 18 points in 09-10 and 26 in 08-09), but he might be a helpful bottom-six contributor if he can stay healthy and skate reasonably well. It’s a low risk deal that could pay some solid dividends for the Kings, unless he’s just flat-out done.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 0
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 60
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)