Aug 20, 2011, 4:38 PM EDT
Every once in a while, a contending team quietly adds a veteran player who makes a small – but worthwhile – addition to a bid for the Stanley Cup. The Los Angeles Kings will face some harsh challenges as they attempt to progress from lovable upstarts to legitimate contenders, so it doesn’t hurt to add more bodies and leadership. It’s possible that the Kings helped themselves out in that area by signing former Edmonton Oilers captain Ethan Moreau to a one-year deal worth $600K.
Moreau is a rugged winger who should fit right into the Kings’ defensive-minded scheme, but his health might be a question. Moreau suffered from an injury-plagued season in his only campaign with the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2010-11, appearing in 37 games and managing just six points. His last two seasons in Edmonton were better (76 games in 09-10 and 77 in 08-09), but he only played in 25 games in 07-08 and 7 in 06-07.
The former Oilers captain won’t be a big scorer (he scored 18 points in 09-10 and 26 in 08-09), but he might be a helpful bottom-six contributor if he can stay healthy and skate reasonably well. It’s a low risk deal that could pay some solid dividends for the Kings, unless he’s just flat-out done.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)