Aug 20, 2011, 4:38 PM EDT
Every once in a while, a contending team quietly adds a veteran player who makes a small – but worthwhile – addition to a bid for the Stanley Cup. The Los Angeles Kings will face some harsh challenges as they attempt to progress from lovable upstarts to legitimate contenders, so it doesn’t hurt to add more bodies and leadership. It’s possible that the Kings helped themselves out in that area by signing former Edmonton Oilers captain Ethan Moreau to a one-year deal worth $600K.
Moreau is a rugged winger who should fit right into the Kings’ defensive-minded scheme, but his health might be a question. Moreau suffered from an injury-plagued season in his only campaign with the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2010-11, appearing in 37 games and managing just six points. His last two seasons in Edmonton were better (76 games in 09-10 and 77 in 08-09), but he only played in 25 games in 07-08 and 7 in 06-07.
The former Oilers captain won’t be a big scorer (he scored 18 points in 09-10 and 26 in 08-09), but he might be a helpful bottom-six contributor if he can stay healthy and skate reasonably well. It’s a low risk deal that could pay some solid dividends for the Kings, unless he’s just flat-out done.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)