Aug 20, 2011, 4:38 PM EDT
Every once in a while, a contending team quietly adds a veteran player who makes a small – but worthwhile – addition to a bid for the Stanley Cup. The Los Angeles Kings will face some harsh challenges as they attempt to progress from lovable upstarts to legitimate contenders, so it doesn’t hurt to add more bodies and leadership. It’s possible that the Kings helped themselves out in that area by signing former Edmonton Oilers captain Ethan Moreau to a one-year deal worth $600K.
Moreau is a rugged winger who should fit right into the Kings’ defensive-minded scheme, but his health might be a question. Moreau suffered from an injury-plagued season in his only campaign with the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2010-11, appearing in 37 games and managing just six points. His last two seasons in Edmonton were better (76 games in 09-10 and 77 in 08-09), but he only played in 25 games in 07-08 and 7 in 06-07.
The former Oilers captain won’t be a big scorer (he scored 18 points in 09-10 and 26 in 08-09), but he might be a helpful bottom-six contributor if he can stay healthy and skate reasonably well. It’s a low risk deal that could pay some solid dividends for the Kings, unless he’s just flat-out done.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)