Aug 20, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
In a face-saving move, the New York Islanders asked MSG Network not to re-air the infamous February 11 “brawlfest”, which would have appeared during last night’s viewing party. To many, that probably indicated that the viewing party was canceled, but the show went on.
Instead of airing that bloody 9-3 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins, fans were treated to the Islanders’ 7-6 win over the Buffalo Sabres, which happened two days later on February 13. The Checking Line’s Evan Pivnick reveals that “a decent amount” of fans came to the viewing party even after the compromise, although much of the focus was still on that fight-filled game. Pivnick reports that the loudest “pop” of the night came when that telecast showed a flashback to the Penguins-Islanders game and that Islanders fans gathered around one inventive fan who brought a recorded version of the “brawlfest” to the event (on a laptop or tablet type device, one would assume).
The loudest crowd pop of the night, to use my WWE terminology, came during the telecast when MSGN showed a flashback to “The Brawl Game”, which was originally going to be aired that night.
A fan at one of the tables at the restaurant had brought with him a device which he had “The Brawl Game” DVR’d on it. He and a group of Islanders fans huddled around a circular table and watched that game.
Ultimately, the Islanders made the right PR move – and the franchise enjoyed many of the benefits of running the party without actually doing so. Even though the original plans were scuttled, Islanders fans re-lived that moment (and make no mistake about it, there are more than a few Islanders fans who think that night might be pivotal for the franchise) by debating the merits of the viewing party for a few days. Sure, that’s not the same as watching the game over again while enjoying some adult beverages and high-fives with like-minded fans, but it will have to do.
(H/T to Pensblog.)
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 7
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 1
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 42
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 36
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 77
- Blackhawks look to end current Game 3 curse 4
- Bruins’ leaders deliver Stanley Cup Final speech 14
- Report: NHL has Seattle plan ready for Coyotes 64
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP