Aug 19, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
The sadness surrounding the sudden death of former Canucks tough guy Rick Rypien will continue for some time while authorities figure out just what caused him to pass away. Family and friends will say their final farewells to Rypien on Saturday at his funeral in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta.
A large crowd is expected for the service as the outpouring of emotion and memories over Rypien’s life and career has been incredible. Teammates past and present as well as his cousin, former Super Bowl MVP Mark Rypien, have opened up in their thoughts about the former Canucks scrapper.
After what’s happened with Rypien, regardless of how he died, and with former Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard after he died from an alcohol and pain killer overdose, it’s helped make the NHL and NHLPA look closer at how they’re handling their wellness program. The program deals with players who are struggling with substance abuse and mental wellness. It’s a good program for the league to have but after what’s happened with Boogaard and possibly with Rypien many want the program to be reevaluated.
Both Boogaard and Rypien were part of that program but other players have taken part in it and thrived after treatment. Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo is a prime example of that. Here’s to hoping we don’t have any more sad situations like this occur in the future and that players who need that sort of help can get it and improve their lives.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)