Aug 18, 2011, 11:54 AM EST
It looks as if Sean Avery won’t have to worry about any further legal issues in California stemming from his August 5 arrest for allegedly shoving a police officer.
TMZ reports that Avery won’t be charged for allegedly shoving a police officer after police responded to his Hollywood home for a noise complaint. If what TMZ reports about the situation is also true, this was much ado about nothing.
But according to law enforcement sources, a further investigation revealed that no officer was ever actually pushed.
We’re told the officer who made the battery report did so after his foot was caught in Avery’s front door — and multiple witnesses have corroborated the story.
Well if that’s the case this really is much ado about nothing. That’s not say that Avery was acting the right way in trying to close the door on the police, but still, charging a guy with battery for that comes off as outrageous.
For Avery, barring any further raucous partying in New York or Los Angeles, this should clear the way for him to prepare for the upcoming season. With the Rangers having more than a full boat of forwards at training camp in September and the Rangers with a pressing situation near the salary cap, there’s talk that Avery could be a candidate to be buried in the AHL if things don’t shape up right. Of course, he could also wind up on the first line with Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik too.
You can never say Avery is a boring guy, however. This summer was especially busy for him as he spent part of the offseason fighting for marriage equality in New York and the other part dealing with these allegations as well as former teammate Alexander Frolov telling a Russian newspaper that Avery used racial slurs on the ice to provoke them, an allegation Frolov later denied making.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 2
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 2
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8