Aug 16, 2011, 11:15 PM EST
You could say there’s been a theme this summer when it comes to guys leaving Philadelphia. While the players love the fans and love the energy of the city, the one thing they’re OK with leaving behind always seems to be the eager Philly media.
We’ve seen former Flyers captain Mike Richards have some not-so-nice words for the city’s media and Chris Pronger is famous for his go-rounds with CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio. Now, Dan Carcillo is having a bit of a say himself about his take on working with the scribes in the City of Brotherly Love.
In a special sit-down interview with Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times, Carcillo was asked about how tough the media in Philly was and if it lives up to the reputation. Carcillo didn’t hold back on his thoughts.
“Yeah. It’s ridiculous. . . . If you lose, people look for excuses, and they nitpick. They make stories out of nothing. It’s unfortunate. That’s just the way it is. It’s kind of their culture. People are kind of outspoken and rude.”
Outspoken? Rude? In Philadelphia? That sounds impossible. As for how the fans in Philly are taking Carcillo’s words, Travis Hughes at Broad Street Hockey says it’s nothing too far out of line all things considered.
I don’t know if the Philly media is rude necessarily, but there’s definitely some truth to the “people look for excuses and nitpick” thing. Of course, that comes with the territory of playing in Philadelphia or any other major sports city in the Northeast, but all in all, I’d say Carcillo’s comments are a fair criticism.
Let’s face it, when you’re a high-profile team in a city that’s wild about sports and wild about the team, you’re going to have a lot of fans and reporters asking a lot of questions. Some of those questions may not be all that comfortable to face up to. After all, it wouldn’t be Philly if there wasn’t some mutual agitation going on between… Well, everyone.
As for how Carcillo will handle things in Chicago, that remains to be seen. Getting off on a good first step after he serves his two-game suspension would go a long way to winning over the fans and to keeping a nice relationship with the writers.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)