Aug 16, 2011, 11:15 PM EDT
You could say there’s been a theme this summer when it comes to guys leaving Philadelphia. While the players love the fans and love the energy of the city, the one thing they’re OK with leaving behind always seems to be the eager Philly media.
We’ve seen former Flyers captain Mike Richards have some not-so-nice words for the city’s media and Chris Pronger is famous for his go-rounds with CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio. Now, Dan Carcillo is having a bit of a say himself about his take on working with the scribes in the City of Brotherly Love.
In a special sit-down interview with Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times, Carcillo was asked about how tough the media in Philly was and if it lives up to the reputation. Carcillo didn’t hold back on his thoughts.
“Yeah. It’s ridiculous. . . . If you lose, people look for excuses, and they nitpick. They make stories out of nothing. It’s unfortunate. That’s just the way it is. It’s kind of their culture. People are kind of outspoken and rude.”
Outspoken? Rude? In Philadelphia? That sounds impossible. As for how the fans in Philly are taking Carcillo’s words, Travis Hughes at Broad Street Hockey says it’s nothing too far out of line all things considered.
I don’t know if the Philly media is rude necessarily, but there’s definitely some truth to the “people look for excuses and nitpick” thing. Of course, that comes with the territory of playing in Philadelphia or any other major sports city in the Northeast, but all in all, I’d say Carcillo’s comments are a fair criticism.
Let’s face it, when you’re a high-profile team in a city that’s wild about sports and wild about the team, you’re going to have a lot of fans and reporters asking a lot of questions. Some of those questions may not be all that comfortable to face up to. After all, it wouldn’t be Philly if there wasn’t some mutual agitation going on between… Well, everyone.
As for how Carcillo will handle things in Chicago, that remains to be seen. Getting off on a good first step after he serves his two-game suspension would go a long way to winning over the fans and to keeping a nice relationship with the writers.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)