Aug 16, 2011, 11:15 PM EDT
You could say there’s been a theme this summer when it comes to guys leaving Philadelphia. While the players love the fans and love the energy of the city, the one thing they’re OK with leaving behind always seems to be the eager Philly media.
We’ve seen former Flyers captain Mike Richards have some not-so-nice words for the city’s media and Chris Pronger is famous for his go-rounds with CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio. Now, Dan Carcillo is having a bit of a say himself about his take on working with the scribes in the City of Brotherly Love.
In a special sit-down interview with Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times, Carcillo was asked about how tough the media in Philly was and if it lives up to the reputation. Carcillo didn’t hold back on his thoughts.
“Yeah. It’s ridiculous. . . . If you lose, people look for excuses, and they nitpick. They make stories out of nothing. It’s unfortunate. That’s just the way it is. It’s kind of their culture. People are kind of outspoken and rude.”
Outspoken? Rude? In Philadelphia? That sounds impossible. As for how the fans in Philly are taking Carcillo’s words, Travis Hughes at Broad Street Hockey says it’s nothing too far out of line all things considered.
I don’t know if the Philly media is rude necessarily, but there’s definitely some truth to the “people look for excuses and nitpick” thing. Of course, that comes with the territory of playing in Philadelphia or any other major sports city in the Northeast, but all in all, I’d say Carcillo’s comments are a fair criticism.
Let’s face it, when you’re a high-profile team in a city that’s wild about sports and wild about the team, you’re going to have a lot of fans and reporters asking a lot of questions. Some of those questions may not be all that comfortable to face up to. After all, it wouldn’t be Philly if there wasn’t some mutual agitation going on between… Well, everyone.
As for how Carcillo will handle things in Chicago, that remains to be seen. Getting off on a good first step after he serves his two-game suspension would go a long way to winning over the fans and to keeping a nice relationship with the writers.
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 0
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 27
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)