Aug 15, 2011, 2:13 PM EDT
When Fabian Brunnstrom came to the NHL three years ago from Sweden, he was hotly pursued by the Red Wings, Canadiens, and Stars. Ultimately the Stars signed the highly-touted forward and it was seen as a coup beating out the Sweden-friendly Red Wings. The 6’1″ 205 pound forward had a lot of promise and going to a team like Dallas was seen to be a big move for the organization.
After his first season in Dallas that saw him score 17 goals in 55 games, there was promise. Three years later, Brunnstrom was traded in a minor league deal to Toronto and spent the entirety of last season in the AHL with the Texas Stars and Toronto Marlies. After being unable to make his mark on the NHL, it was expected that Brunnstrom’s try at becoming the latest Swedish star sensation was over. As it turns out, he’ll get one more chance to prove his worth in training camp next month with the same Detroit Red Wings that attempted to land him back in 2008.
Swedish news site Aftonbladet reports that Brunnstrom will get a training camp invitation from the Red Wings to see if he can unleash his untapped potential with a host of other Swedish countrymen to help him blend in. Having Nicklas Lidstrom, Johan Franzen, Henrik Zetterberg, Jonathan Ericsson, and Tomas Holmstrom there to show him the way things are done in Detroit may help him out.
Brunnstrom could also be out of luck with such a loaded Red Wings organization that also has Swedish phenom Gustav Nyqvist gunning to find a spot in the rotation as well. With Nyqvist being the new hotness and Brunnstrom being the old and busted part of the talent search, Brunnstrom’s chances to earn a contract with the organization will be tough. Since he’s just getting a tryout, that means he’ll have to perform better than other players who are already locked into deals with the team and the others they’ll also have in on a tryout basis. For Brunnstrom, taking the easy route won’t be an option this time if he wants to stay in the NHL.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)