Aug 15, 2011, 11:49 AM EDT
Montreal needed a little bit more insurance on their blue line for the upcoming season. With their top six or seven already secure and two of those players coming off of surgery, the Canadiens locked up former Stars and Blues defenseman Jeff Woywitka to a one-year, two-way contract.
Last season when the Habs ran into injury problems on the blue line, they had to dig deep into their farm system to help fill holes. This season, both Andrei Markov and Jeff Gorges are coming off of injuries that ended their seasons so making sure to have some NHL-quality insurance backing them up is a smart move.
Woywitka had two goals and nine assists in 63 games for Dallas last season and while he’s not an optimal choice to be a top six defenseman, if you need a guy in a pinch because of injury he’s a good short-term gap-filler. With Montreal having Markov, Gorges, P.K. Subban, and Hal Gill set as their top four with Jaroslav Spacek as their likely fifth guy and a battle between youngsters Yannick Weber and Alexei Yemelin for the sixth spot, expect Woywitka to start the year in the AHL with Hamilton.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)