Aug 15, 2011, 11:49 AM EDT
Montreal needed a little bit more insurance on their blue line for the upcoming season. With their top six or seven already secure and two of those players coming off of surgery, the Canadiens locked up former Stars and Blues defenseman Jeff Woywitka to a one-year, two-way contract.
Last season when the Habs ran into injury problems on the blue line, they had to dig deep into their farm system to help fill holes. This season, both Andrei Markov and Jeff Gorges are coming off of injuries that ended their seasons so making sure to have some NHL-quality insurance backing them up is a smart move.
Woywitka had two goals and nine assists in 63 games for Dallas last season and while he’s not an optimal choice to be a top six defenseman, if you need a guy in a pinch because of injury he’s a good short-term gap-filler. With Montreal having Markov, Gorges, P.K. Subban, and Hal Gill set as their top four with Jaroslav Spacek as their likely fifth guy and a battle between youngsters Yannick Weber and Alexei Yemelin for the sixth spot, expect Woywitka to start the year in the AHL with Hamilton.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 37
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 31
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 26
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)