Aug 15, 2011, 11:44 PM EDT
Regardless of how it happened, Rick Rypien’s death saddened many in the hockey world tonight. Twitter and other Internet venues have seen many accounts of support for the fallen enforcer as word surfaced that he died at the age of 27.
In tough times like these, it’s important to look beyond tragic ends and remember the positive impact a person made. Rypien signed a one-year contract with the Winnipeg Jets in June, but every game he played in the NHL took place in a Vancouver Canucks sweater.
Much like Derek Boogaard with the Minnesota Wild, it’s likely that Rypien’s death will hit Canucks fans the hardest of any NHL fan base. It only makes sense, then, that Canucks fans look like they will follow in the footsteps of Wild fans by memorializing Rypien on Wednesday. As you may remember, about 350 Wild fans gathered at Xcel Energy Center to pay tribute to Boogaard, with the informal memorial service also including comments by Boogaard’s family members and Wild GM Chuck Fletcher.
According to that Facebook event, the “Rick Rypien Celebration of Life” will take place at 2 pm (pacific time) at the Roger Nielson statue outside of Rogers Arena. We’ll keep an eye on what’s likely to be a very emotional event.
(H/T to Nucks Misconduct.)
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)