Aug 15, 2011, 11:44 PM EST
Regardless of how it happened, Rick Rypien’s death saddened many in the hockey world tonight. Twitter and other Internet venues have seen many accounts of support for the fallen enforcer as word surfaced that he died at the age of 27.
In tough times like these, it’s important to look beyond tragic ends and remember the positive impact a person made. Rypien signed a one-year contract with the Winnipeg Jets in June, but every game he played in the NHL took place in a Vancouver Canucks sweater.
Much like Derek Boogaard with the Minnesota Wild, it’s likely that Rypien’s death will hit Canucks fans the hardest of any NHL fan base. It only makes sense, then, that Canucks fans look like they will follow in the footsteps of Wild fans by memorializing Rypien on Wednesday. As you may remember, about 350 Wild fans gathered at Xcel Energy Center to pay tribute to Boogaard, with the informal memorial service also including comments by Boogaard’s family members and Wild GM Chuck Fletcher.
According to that Facebook event, the “Rick Rypien Celebration of Life” will take place at 2 pm (pacific time) at the Roger Nielson statue outside of Rogers Arena. We’ll keep an eye on what’s likely to be a very emotional event.
(H/T to Nucks Misconduct.)
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)