Aug 15, 2011, 11:44 PM EDT
Regardless of how it happened, Rick Rypien’s death saddened many in the hockey world tonight. Twitter and other Internet venues have seen many accounts of support for the fallen enforcer as word surfaced that he died at the age of 27.
In tough times like these, it’s important to look beyond tragic ends and remember the positive impact a person made. Rypien signed a one-year contract with the Winnipeg Jets in June, but every game he played in the NHL took place in a Vancouver Canucks sweater.
Much like Derek Boogaard with the Minnesota Wild, it’s likely that Rypien’s death will hit Canucks fans the hardest of any NHL fan base. It only makes sense, then, that Canucks fans look like they will follow in the footsteps of Wild fans by memorializing Rypien on Wednesday. As you may remember, about 350 Wild fans gathered at Xcel Energy Center to pay tribute to Boogaard, with the informal memorial service also including comments by Boogaard’s family members and Wild GM Chuck Fletcher.
According to that Facebook event, the “Rick Rypien Celebration of Life” will take place at 2 pm (pacific time) at the Roger Nielson statue outside of Rogers Arena. We’ll keep an eye on what’s likely to be a very emotional event.
(H/T to Nucks Misconduct.)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 8
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 17
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 31
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles