Aug 14, 2011, 11:04 PM EDT
Whenever talk about Sidney Crosby‘s status arises, it becomes major news. Such was the case earlier today when NHL Home Ice’s Josh Rimer reported through sources of his own that Crosby would not be ready to start the season thanks to his struggles in recovering from a concussion suffered in January.
Rob Rossi of of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Penguins coach Dan Bylsma will likely be addressing the report on Crosby’s status Monday morning when he speaks at a youth hockey camp. Rossi also reports that neither Crosby’s handlers nor the team are addressing the report and his agent, Pat Brisson, hasn’t responded to requests for information.
Updates have been sparse through the summer on just how Crosby’s health is doing as he tries to get ready for a comeback from the concussion he suffered in early January against Tampa Bay thanks to Victor Hedman. The shot Crosby took during the Winter Classic from David Steckel likely set the table for Crosby to be injured more seriously in that following game, but Penguins trainers cleared him to play the rest of the game on New Year’s Day and the infamous following game against Tampa Bay.
We’ll be curious to see what Bylsma has to say about Crosby and while we’re expecting it to be a fairly generic update on how Crosby’s continuing his rehabilitation, getting a frank update would be useful for Penguins and Crosby fans eager to find out just how he’s doing. With training camp coming up in just a month, expect the attention being paid to Crosby to ramp up considerably if it hasn’t already started now.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)