Aug 14, 2011, 11:04 PM EDT
Whenever talk about Sidney Crosby‘s status arises, it becomes major news. Such was the case earlier today when NHL Home Ice’s Josh Rimer reported through sources of his own that Crosby would not be ready to start the season thanks to his struggles in recovering from a concussion suffered in January.
Rob Rossi of of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Penguins coach Dan Bylsma will likely be addressing the report on Crosby’s status Monday morning when he speaks at a youth hockey camp. Rossi also reports that neither Crosby’s handlers nor the team are addressing the report and his agent, Pat Brisson, hasn’t responded to requests for information.
Updates have been sparse through the summer on just how Crosby’s health is doing as he tries to get ready for a comeback from the concussion he suffered in early January against Tampa Bay thanks to Victor Hedman. The shot Crosby took during the Winter Classic from David Steckel likely set the table for Crosby to be injured more seriously in that following game, but Penguins trainers cleared him to play the rest of the game on New Year’s Day and the infamous following game against Tampa Bay.
We’ll be curious to see what Bylsma has to say about Crosby and while we’re expecting it to be a fairly generic update on how Crosby’s continuing his rehabilitation, getting a frank update would be useful for Penguins and Crosby fans eager to find out just how he’s doing. With training camp coming up in just a month, expect the attention being paid to Crosby to ramp up considerably if it hasn’t already started now.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 4
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)