Aug 14, 2011, 11:04 PM EST
Whenever talk about Sidney Crosby‘s status arises, it becomes major news. Such was the case earlier today when NHL Home Ice’s Josh Rimer reported through sources of his own that Crosby would not be ready to start the season thanks to his struggles in recovering from a concussion suffered in January.
Rob Rossi of of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Penguins coach Dan Bylsma will likely be addressing the report on Crosby’s status Monday morning when he speaks at a youth hockey camp. Rossi also reports that neither Crosby’s handlers nor the team are addressing the report and his agent, Pat Brisson, hasn’t responded to requests for information.
Updates have been sparse through the summer on just how Crosby’s health is doing as he tries to get ready for a comeback from the concussion he suffered in early January against Tampa Bay thanks to Victor Hedman. The shot Crosby took during the Winter Classic from David Steckel likely set the table for Crosby to be injured more seriously in that following game, but Penguins trainers cleared him to play the rest of the game on New Year’s Day and the infamous following game against Tampa Bay.
We’ll be curious to see what Bylsma has to say about Crosby and while we’re expecting it to be a fairly generic update on how Crosby’s continuing his rehabilitation, getting a frank update would be useful for Penguins and Crosby fans eager to find out just how he’s doing. With training camp coming up in just a month, expect the attention being paid to Crosby to ramp up considerably if it hasn’t already started now.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)