Aug 14, 2011, 11:04 PM EDT
Whenever talk about Sidney Crosby‘s status arises, it becomes major news. Such was the case earlier today when NHL Home Ice’s Josh Rimer reported through sources of his own that Crosby would not be ready to start the season thanks to his struggles in recovering from a concussion suffered in January.
Rob Rossi of of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Penguins coach Dan Bylsma will likely be addressing the report on Crosby’s status Monday morning when he speaks at a youth hockey camp. Rossi also reports that neither Crosby’s handlers nor the team are addressing the report and his agent, Pat Brisson, hasn’t responded to requests for information.
Updates have been sparse through the summer on just how Crosby’s health is doing as he tries to get ready for a comeback from the concussion he suffered in early January against Tampa Bay thanks to Victor Hedman. The shot Crosby took during the Winter Classic from David Steckel likely set the table for Crosby to be injured more seriously in that following game, but Penguins trainers cleared him to play the rest of the game on New Year’s Day and the infamous following game against Tampa Bay.
We’ll be curious to see what Bylsma has to say about Crosby and while we’re expecting it to be a fairly generic update on how Crosby’s continuing his rehabilitation, getting a frank update would be useful for Penguins and Crosby fans eager to find out just how he’s doing. With training camp coming up in just a month, expect the attention being paid to Crosby to ramp up considerably if it hasn’t already started now.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 8
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)