Aug 12, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
Picture, if you will, that you’re the general manager of the Chicago Cubs, Jim Hendry. You’ve drafted Wayne Gretzky’s son, Trevor and it’s time to work out a contract with the youngster to get him into minor league camp and start on the road to a potential career in Major League Baseball. You pick up the phone to dial up Gretzky’s agent and end up on the phone with one of the greatest players in NHL history to talk turkey about a deal.
Wayne Gretzky the player agent? That’s not intimidating at all. Gulp.
That’s just what the case was for Hendry as he signed Trevor Gretzky to a contract with the Cubs as CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney reports. The son of ”The Great One” is slated to potentially be a big time player in baseball and given his athletic bloodlines, there’s every reason to think he’s capable of achieving big things.
At 6’4″ and 190 pounds, Trevor is bigger than his father but just as wiry. Considering that Gretzky is hoping to become a big time hitter in the major leagues, putting on a few more pounds wouldn’t hurt him. That said, having his old man negotiating his deal and helping him in signing on with the Cubs, a deal that includes a $375,000 signing bonus, clearly the Gretzky name is worth a lot of money in more than one sport these days.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 6
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 5
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 30
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 52
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 82
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut