Aug 12, 2011, 7:44 PM EDT
Picture, if you will, that you’re the general manager of the Chicago Cubs, Jim Hendry. You’ve drafted Wayne Gretzky’s son, Trevor and it’s time to work out a contract with the youngster to get him into minor league camp and start on the road to a potential career in Major League Baseball. You pick up the phone to dial up Gretzky’s agent and end up on the phone with one of the greatest players in NHL history to talk turkey about a deal.
Wayne Gretzky the player agent? That’s not intimidating at all. Gulp.
That’s just what the case was for Hendry as he signed Trevor Gretzky to a contract with the Cubs as CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney reports. The son of “The Great One” is slated to potentially be a big time player in baseball and given his athletic bloodlines, there’s every reason to think he’s capable of achieving big things.
At 6’4″ and 190 pounds, Trevor is bigger than his father but just as wiry. Considering that Gretzky is hoping to become a big time hitter in the major leagues, putting on a few more pounds wouldn’t hurt him. That said, having his old man negotiating his deal and helping him in signing on with the Cubs, a deal that includes a $375,000 signing bonus, clearly the Gretzky name is worth a lot of money in more than one sport these days.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 9
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 81
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (82)