Aug 12, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
Notorious former Western Hockey League coach Graham James managed to have his latest sexual assault trial pushed back until September 15. Directly from the Winnipeg Sun:
“James did not appear in court Thursday, as junior lawyers representing the Crown and defence simply got together to set further dates.
Court heard James and his lawyer need more time to discuss his case.”
Note, this case has nothing to do with the thirty sexual assault counts that James was convicted of in 1997. No, these are nine brand new counts that have been brought before authorities for alleged acts committed against three different junior hockey league players between 1979 and 1994. Among the alleged victims are former NHL star Theo Fleury—in his 2009 autobiography “Playing With Fire,” Fleury claimed that he had been abused by James when he was with the Moose Jaw Warriors in the mid-to-late 1980s.
After he was sentenced to a three and a half year sentence for sexually abusing players, he was inexplicably pardoned by the Canadian government. Obviously, Fleury had a comment when the 2007 pardon made news in 2010.
“I’m shocked and mystified. Imagine somebody who commits that kind of crime being pardoned. Obviously nobody was proud of the decision or it wouldn’t have been a secret. I thought we had an open justice system. It’s just more proof our society has a lot to learn about protecting the victims.”
Just as incredible as the pardon, James was quickly able find another job coaching hockey with a team in Spain. Not only did he coach, but he was also an assistant coach on the country’s World C Hockey Championship team in 2001. He eventually disappeared to Mexico before he was eventually forced to face the nine new charges.
We’ll keep you updated as this sad story continues to play out over the next few months.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)