Aug 11, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
Being an original six team must make life easy on fans as they provide a look that stays virtually the same all the time. While the Maple Leafs have tweaked their look just enough over time to keep fans buying up the new goods, it’s a look that’s lasted a long time and remains one of the best in the NHL.
Best: The Leafs have been a bit more like the Blackhawks than they have been like the Red Wings when it comes to tweaking an original six look. While the bold Maple Leaf has always been on the front of the sweater, how the leaf itself looked and the dalliances of the sweater itself have gotten their fair share of tweaks. The look the Leafs had from 1978-1992 is one that I’ll always have an affinity for. Let’s just go ahead and blame that on Wendel Clark, OK?
Worst: The Leafs have never really had a bad look per se, but there have been some tweaks to their sweaters that made you wonder just what they trying to do with the classic Maple Leafs identity. One such example is when they replaced the classic old maple leaf shoulder logo with an interlocking “TML” logo on the shoulders. Believe me, I get that this is the ultimate in nit-picking when it comes to finding a flaw, but that switch was one that never sat right with me. Having more leafs on the sweater was never a bad thing.
Old-Timey Goodness: With the Leafs long history of sweaters, it’s easy enough to go back in time and find a classic look that just oozes history and beauty. One such look for me is their home blue sweater from 1927-1930. It’s big and blue with all sorts of white stripes going up and down the sleeves with a massive Maple Leafs logo on the front. Throw in the white numbers on the back with no names and it’s old school perfection. Sure the stripes might set you off a bit, but these things are fantastic.
Assessment: The Leafs current look is simple and ideal. Their home blues and road whites are simply striped and elegant. The old time leaf is back on the shoulders and the Leafs third sweater is a nod to the past with the blue shoulder yoke and the old time Leafs logo on the front. You can never go wrong with a Leafs sweater… Unless you’re from Boston or Montreal I suppose.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 11
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 37
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)