Aug 9, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
Best: For a team that doesn’t have a long history of sweaters, the Wild got it right with their beautiful third sweater they unleashed two seasons ago. When you think of the wilderness you think of the color green and that’s just what this sweater has. It’s green all over with “Minnesota Wild” in script across the front. It’s simple, elegant, and honestly beautiful. It’s got a touch of that old school feel to it and reminds us of the All-Star Jerseys from when the game was held in St. Paul in 2004.
Worst: Oddly enough, the Wild’s worst sweater is also an all green affair. The team’s original road jersey was even-handed match to their white home sweater just green all over. The red and gold piping wasn’t enough to help distract from the heaps of green all over this sweater and was roundly disliked in Minnesota and elsewhere. It’s odd that this one was so disliked while the home whites (still the look of their road sweaters now) are beloved. That says something more about making things look nice for one’s eyes rather than blowing them away with one color. It just goes to show you more reasons why the design of their new third is so particular and special to the fans.
Circular Madness: In 2003, the Wild introduced an “iron range red” third jersey that featured the Wild logo within a circular ring that had the team name going around it. The design made the team’s logo look instantly old school and for us hockey fans, anything that looks old-time hockey-like is something we’ll warm up to right away. Well, most of the time anyway. For the Wild, going away from the forest green and into their other team color in red was a huge success and the sweater took over as the team’s home sweater in 2007 and remains that way now. When it’s done right, the circular logo can be perfect. Minnesota’s one of the few teams that’s pulled it off right.
Assessment: The Wild’s current sweater array is about as good as it gets and looks like a “best of” collection of what they’ve done through their short history. The home red is great, their road whites have sustained years of changes, and their green alternates are a thing of beauty. While the Wild are still finding their way on the ice with their play, they sure look good while trying to figure things out.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 72
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (73)