Aug 5, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
Back in 2007-2008, Patrick O’Sullivan scored 22 goals and had 31 assists for the L.A. Kings and at 22 years-old appeared to be headed to a great career. Since then, things haven’t gone well. Over three seasons with three different teams, O’Sullivan has just 29 goals and 56 assists total.
Fast forward to this summer, O’Sullivan is signing a one-year, two-way deal with the Phoenix Coyotes to hopefully carve his way back into a full-time NHL career.
Since that big year in 2008, O’Sullivan has played for three teams while being part of four of them. He’s suited up for Edmonton, Carolina, and Minnesota since then and was even once a part of the Coyotes organization. O’Sullivan never played for the Coyotes but he did get his contract bought out by the team, and it’s a deal they’re still paying off heading into this season. It must be nice to get to double-dip on a team owned by the NHL.
For O’Sullivan, with that kind of turnover in his career, this could be his last chance to get and keep a full-time NHL job. While his options to play in the AHL are always there, for a guy that showed so much promise when he was younger to fall on such hard times now is tough to see. His hard times remind us of Jonathan Cheechoo whose career fell off a cliff after being a 50-goal scorer for the San Jose Sharks.
If O’Sullivan can adhere to coach Dave Tippett’s system and find some of that offensive ability he’s capable of, he’s got a chance to get plenty of minutes in Phoenix. The Coyotes are hurting for depth up the middle and O’Sullivan is a natural playmaking center. With just really Martin Hanzal to rely on and Kyle Turris still an unknown (and an unsigned restricted free agent) the Coyotes need the help. It’s the right team and the right opportunity for O’Sullivan and now it’s up to him to see if he can make it work.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)