Aug 4, 2011, 3:18 PM EDT
When it comes to leaks for jerseys, logos and even sneaky photos from “The Dark Knight Rises” set, it’s always important to take a breath and remember: these things are not official. Sometimes they end up being the real thing, as we saw when the Winnipeg Jets logo was revealed prematurely thanks to a leak. Other times, they end up being a hoax, as you can see from a screen shot that was not the Jets’ new jerseys.
Hopefully that paragraph provides an ample disclaimer for this post, so let’s go forward. Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski came upon a Flickr account from “roblgraphicd” that features what might end up being the New York Islanders’ new third jerseys for the 2011-12 season. (Take a closer look at the concept by clicking on the original Flickr image.) The reason this doesn’t seem like just another wild goose chase is the screen name: roblgraphicd follows a logical pattern of possibly being Robert Lawlor Jr., a graphic designer for the team.
That Flickr page features plenty examples of what could be other work by Lawlor, if that indeed is his account. Wyshynski also reminds us that there have been rumors about the Islanders donning a black third jersey next season, so this only strengthens such scuttlebutt.
Icethetics couldn’t confirm or deny this story as a rumor or fact, but they did provide some feedback about the possible new look that I couldn’t help but agree with.
Now if you want my thoughts, I’m of two minds on this. On one hand, it’s just nuts enough to be an actual NHL jersey. On the other, I would’ve hoped the Islanders’ had learned their lesson about insane jersey design. This is way too trendy for its own good. Wordmark on the front. Mismatching nameplate on the back. Black.
When the Isles launched their Reebok Edge jerseys in 2007, they were quite ugly. They’ve since rectified the problem by going back to their roots with beautiful throwbacks. But I guess somebody at the top still wants the Isles’ to have at least one oddball uniform in the arsenal. And this would surely do the trick.
If this alternate look ends up coming to fruition, then it would be a small bummer. It seems like the future might not even be very bright for Islanders apparel. (Although their primary throwback duds are fantastic.)
(Photo via roblgraphicd’s Flickr page.)
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)