Aug 4, 2011, 3:18 PM EDT
When it comes to leaks for jerseys, logos and even sneaky photos from “The Dark Knight Rises” set, it’s always important to take a breath and remember: these things are not official. Sometimes they end up being the real thing, as we saw when the Winnipeg Jets logo was revealed prematurely thanks to a leak. Other times, they end up being a hoax, as you can see from a screen shot that was not the Jets’ new jerseys.
Hopefully that paragraph provides an ample disclaimer for this post, so let’s go forward. Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski came upon a Flickr account from “roblgraphicd” that features what might end up being the New York Islanders’ new third jerseys for the 2011-12 season. (Take a closer look at the concept by clicking on the original Flickr image.) The reason this doesn’t seem like just another wild goose chase is the screen name: roblgraphicd follows a logical pattern of possibly being Robert Lawlor Jr., a graphic designer for the team.
That Flickr page features plenty examples of what could be other work by Lawlor, if that indeed is his account. Wyshynski also reminds us that there have been rumors about the Islanders donning a black third jersey next season, so this only strengthens such scuttlebutt.
Icethetics couldn’t confirm or deny this story as a rumor or fact, but they did provide some feedback about the possible new look that I couldn’t help but agree with.
Now if you want my thoughts, I’m of two minds on this. On one hand, it’s just nuts enough to be an actual NHL jersey. On the other, I would’ve hoped the Islanders’ had learned their lesson about insane jersey design. This is way too trendy for its own good. Wordmark on the front. Mismatching nameplate on the back. Black.
When the Isles launched their Reebok Edge jerseys in 2007, they were quite ugly. They’ve since rectified the problem by going back to their roots with beautiful throwbacks. But I guess somebody at the top still wants the Isles’ to have at least one oddball uniform in the arsenal. And this would surely do the trick.
If this alternate look ends up coming to fruition, then it would be a small bummer. It seems like the future might not even be very bright for Islanders apparel. (Although their primary throwback duds are fantastic.)
(Photo via roblgraphicd’s Flickr page.)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 52
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5