Ryan Kesler undergoes hip surgery, rehab could force him to miss training camp, start of next season
Aug 2, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
The last two seasons started to push him into the elite discussions in the first place, but an impressive playoff year and a runaway Selke Trophy victory cemented Ryan Kesler as more than just the Vancouver Canucks’ “other elite center.” Kesler did a little bit of everything during that postseason, especially during a star-making turn in the second round against the Nashville Predators.
That being said, things seemed a bit “off” for Kesler late in the San Jose Sharks series. That carried over to the Stanley Cup finals against the Boston Bruins, as Kesler seemed like he lost a step while some whispers of a lower-body injury floated around.
Perhaps those rumors were justified because Kesler underwent successful surgery on his hip today. The procedure (specifically, “hip labral surgery”) will sideline the two-way forward for 10-12 weeks, according to the team. USA Today’s Kevin Allen contextualizes the cost: he’ll miss training camp and probably some of the first games of the 2011-12 season.
My guess is that the cost won’t be too big, as long as the Canucks are cautious not to rush him back. Training camp won’t be as crucial for Kesler because the team is largely the same one he battled with in 2010-11 and it could be argued that he might benefit from a little extra rest.
It wouldn’t be shocking if the Canucks start next season a little slow after a rugged and ultimately heartbreaking journey that fell just short of the Stanley Cup. Kesler’s temporary absence adds some validity to that gut reaction. Then again, Vancouver dealt with a lot of hurdles and challenges last season, too, so they might be able to weather the next series of storms – even if they’re do-everything second center might be a little late to the party.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)