Aug 1, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT
When the calendar flips to January 2012 and you’ll be looking on your cable guide to find Versus for a big night of NHL action, you’ll have to keep your eyes peeled for something different. The long-awaited renaming of Versus is coming on January 2, 2012 and since NBC’s merger with Comcast, Versus is getting a visible upgrade in changing the name from Versus to NBC Sports Network.
The timing of the name change is no secret as there’s plenty of big time events going on at the start of the year with the conclusion of the NFL season on January 1, as well as NBC’s Sunday Night Football. January 2 brings the NHL Winter Classic from Philadelphia and the NFL Playoffs begin on January 7 with the Wild Card round.
For us hockey nuts, of course, the national broadcast package for the NHL is on Versus and having the channel switch names to NBC Sports Network means that you’ll get to see Doc Emrick and Pierre McGuire and the host of others flying the NBC flag not just on Sundays but during the week as well.
Many of you have been curious just what Versus would be named when the merger happened earlier this year, and now you’ve got your answer. It all starts anew on January 2.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)