Jul 31, 2011, 12:23 PM EDT
Raw Charge’s John Fontana passed along an interesting tidbit: the Tampa Bay Lightning are running a Facebook campaign that will allow a lucky fan (or two fans) to show up on tickets to a home game next season.
It isn’t clear which game (or games) they’re talking about, exactly. The image (listed below) features an October 16 game against the Columbus Blue Jackets that won’t take place during the 2011-12 season. (Tampa Bay will play a road game against Columbus on December 17 and a home game against them on January 24, 2012.)
Really, the biggest downside is one that Fontana also pointed out: the contest uses a Facebook app that requests permission for your basic information, to send you e-mails, post to your wall and gain access to your “likes.” If you’re paranoid about information usage like I am, then that’s a bit of a turnoff in an otherwise clever marketing idea. The other slight drawback is that photos from cell phones won’t be allowed, which will probably reduce the amount of people who can submit entries.
In the bigger picture, the Lightning have been full of good ideas lately. From retaining the majority of their important free agents (especially expensive sniper Steven Stamkos and veterans such as Dwayne Roloson) to the $35 million facelift for St. Pete Times Forum, this team seems to be making a lot of – if not all – of the right moves under GM Steve Yzerman. Embracing social media and their budding fan base is another piece to a promising puzzle.
Here’s a screen capture of the promotion, but if you want to take part in it, then click here.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5