Jul 31, 2011, 12:23 PM EDT
Raw Charge’s John Fontana passed along an interesting tidbit: the Tampa Bay Lightning are running a Facebook campaign that will allow a lucky fan (or two fans) to show up on tickets to a home game next season.
It isn’t clear which game (or games) they’re talking about, exactly. The image (listed below) features an October 16 game against the Columbus Blue Jackets that won’t take place during the 2011-12 season. (Tampa Bay will play a road game against Columbus on December 17 and a home game against them on January 24, 2012.)
Really, the biggest downside is one that Fontana also pointed out: the contest uses a Facebook app that requests permission for your basic information, to send you e-mails, post to your wall and gain access to your “likes.” If you’re paranoid about information usage like I am, then that’s a bit of a turnoff in an otherwise clever marketing idea. The other slight drawback is that photos from cell phones won’t be allowed, which will probably reduce the amount of people who can submit entries.
In the bigger picture, the Lightning have been full of good ideas lately. From retaining the majority of their important free agents (especially expensive sniper Steven Stamkos and veterans such as Dwayne Roloson) to the $35 million facelift for St. Pete Times Forum, this team seems to be making a lot of – if not all – of the right moves under GM Steve Yzerman. Embracing social media and their budding fan base is another piece to a promising puzzle.
Here’s a screen capture of the promotion, but if you want to take part in it, then click here.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)