Jul 30, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
After all the initial outrage over Zdeno Chara‘s hit on Max Pacioretty that resulted in him getting a severe concussion and knocking him out for the rest of the season and playoffs, perhaps the most outrageous instance of the entire situation is nearly at an end. The outrageous part being the Montreal Police Department’s investigation into the terrifying and awful hit that Chara delivered at Bell Centre back on March 8.
While Habs fans inundated the Montreal police with calls to 9-1-1 to demand an investigation, the Montreal police are just about through with all the questions they need to ask.
Fluto Shinzawa of The Boston Globe reports that a resolution is near in the case that isn’t likely to end up going anywhere in the end. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told Shinzawa that Chara’s lawyer felt everything went well and they feel confident in things moving forward.
It’s not expected that Chara will see charges out of the incident and given that the NHL ruled the hit to be an unfortunate hockey play and did not suspend Chara for the hit, it would be ludicrous for the authorities to step in and determine the hit to be something else. That’s not to say the NHL is the paragon of virtue when it comes to questionable hits and dirty plays, but this one instance was so freakish and ugly it’s impossible to determine the intent Chara had play.
For now, let’s just hope that this is the final chapter in this series of events and that the two players can avoid anything unseemly next season.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)