Jul 30, 2011, 1:37 PM EST
After all the initial outrage over Zdeno Chara‘s hit on Max Pacioretty that resulted in him getting a severe concussion and knocking him out for the rest of the season and playoffs, perhaps the most outrageous instance of the entire situation is nearly at an end. The outrageous part being the Montreal Police Department’s investigation into the terrifying and awful hit that Chara delivered at Bell Centre back on March 8.
While Habs fans inundated the Montreal police with calls to 9-1-1 to demand an investigation, the Montreal police are just about through with all the questions they need to ask.
Fluto Shinzawa of The Boston Globe reports that a resolution is near in the case that isn’t likely to end up going anywhere in the end. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told Shinzawa that Chara’s lawyer felt everything went well and they feel confident in things moving forward.
It’s not expected that Chara will see charges out of the incident and given that the NHL ruled the hit to be an unfortunate hockey play and did not suspend Chara for the hit, it would be ludicrous for the authorities to step in and determine the hit to be something else. That’s not to say the NHL is the paragon of virtue when it comes to questionable hits and dirty plays, but this one instance was so freakish and ugly it’s impossible to determine the intent Chara had play.
For now, let’s just hope that this is the final chapter in this series of events and that the two players can avoid anything unseemly next season.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12