Jul 30, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
After all the initial outrage over Zdeno Chara‘s hit on Max Pacioretty that resulted in him getting a severe concussion and knocking him out for the rest of the season and playoffs, perhaps the most outrageous instance of the entire situation is nearly at an end. The outrageous part being the Montreal Police Department’s investigation into the terrifying and awful hit that Chara delivered at Bell Centre back on March 8.
While Habs fans inundated the Montreal police with calls to 9-1-1 to demand an investigation, the Montreal police are just about through with all the questions they need to ask.
Fluto Shinzawa of The Boston Globe reports that a resolution is near in the case that isn’t likely to end up going anywhere in the end. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told Shinzawa that Chara’s lawyer felt everything went well and they feel confident in things moving forward.
It’s not expected that Chara will see charges out of the incident and given that the NHL ruled the hit to be an unfortunate hockey play and did not suspend Chara for the hit, it would be ludicrous for the authorities to step in and determine the hit to be something else. That’s not to say the NHL is the paragon of virtue when it comes to questionable hits and dirty plays, but this one instance was so freakish and ugly it’s impossible to determine the intent Chara had play.
For now, let’s just hope that this is the final chapter in this series of events and that the two players can avoid anything unseemly next season.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)