Jul 30, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
After all the initial outrage over Zdeno Chara‘s hit on Max Pacioretty that resulted in him getting a severe concussion and knocking him out for the rest of the season and playoffs, perhaps the most outrageous instance of the entire situation is nearly at an end. The outrageous part being the Montreal Police Department’s investigation into the terrifying and awful hit that Chara delivered at Bell Centre back on March 8.
While Habs fans inundated the Montreal police with calls to 9-1-1 to demand an investigation, the Montreal police are just about through with all the questions they need to ask.
Fluto Shinzawa of The Boston Globe reports that a resolution is near in the case that isn’t likely to end up going anywhere in the end. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told Shinzawa that Chara’s lawyer felt everything went well and they feel confident in things moving forward.
It’s not expected that Chara will see charges out of the incident and given that the NHL ruled the hit to be an unfortunate hockey play and did not suspend Chara for the hit, it would be ludicrous for the authorities to step in and determine the hit to be something else. That’s not to say the NHL is the paragon of virtue when it comes to questionable hits and dirty plays, but this one instance was so freakish and ugly it’s impossible to determine the intent Chara had play.
For now, let’s just hope that this is the final chapter in this series of events and that the two players can avoid anything unseemly next season.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63