Jul 30, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
After all the initial outrage over Zdeno Chara‘s hit on Max Pacioretty that resulted in him getting a severe concussion and knocking him out for the rest of the season and playoffs, perhaps the most outrageous instance of the entire situation is nearly at an end. The outrageous part being the Montreal Police Department’s investigation into the terrifying and awful hit that Chara delivered at Bell Centre back on March 8.
While Habs fans inundated the Montreal police with calls to 9-1-1 to demand an investigation, the Montreal police are just about through with all the questions they need to ask.
Fluto Shinzawa of The Boston Globe reports that a resolution is near in the case that isn’t likely to end up going anywhere in the end. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told Shinzawa that Chara’s lawyer felt everything went well and they feel confident in things moving forward.
It’s not expected that Chara will see charges out of the incident and given that the NHL ruled the hit to be an unfortunate hockey play and did not suspend Chara for the hit, it would be ludicrous for the authorities to step in and determine the hit to be something else. That’s not to say the NHL is the paragon of virtue when it comes to questionable hits and dirty plays, but this one instance was so freakish and ugly it’s impossible to determine the intent Chara had play.
For now, let’s just hope that this is the final chapter in this series of events and that the two players can avoid anything unseemly next season.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)