Jul 30, 2011, 10:58 AM EDT
Last summer when the Boston Bruins got dinged for $1.759 million in bonus overages, having that much taken off their salary cap for the 2010-2011 made life a little trickier for Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli. As Chiarelli showed, however, such things aren’t an issue for him as he was able to help build a team that went on to win the Stanley Cup.
Chiarelli’s skills will be tested out once again in the 2011-2012 season as the Bruins will have another bonus overage to contend with against the salary cap. Fluto Shinzawa of The Boston Globe reports that the Bruins will have $1.13 million in cap penalties next season.
The main culprit behind the Bruins’ reduced salary cap this upcoming season is the now retired Mark Recchi. Recchi’s play and helping the team win the Stanley Cup helped him earn some nice parting gifts as he headed off into the NHL sunset. The cap penalty is reasonable, but should the Bruins run into a few nagging injuries, that $1.13 million is money that could go to a replacement player (or two) for the roster.
If there’s anything we’ve learned about the Bruins and Chiarelli is that they’ll find a way to make it work. Having to deal with bonus overages is something teams have to deal with and while the Blackhawks had some unbelievable issues last summer with more than $4 million in overages, it doesn’t have to be a crippling situation. The Bruins will be just fine even with the $63.17 million cap to spend to.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off