Jul 30, 2011, 4:51 PM EST
When you’re a pro athlete, you know you’ve made it as a huge star when you end up the face on a candy bar. While many will remember the legendary Reggie Bars from the 1970s with Reggie Jackson on them, guys like Randall Cunningham, Isaiah Thomas, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and even Doug Gilmour have had their likenesses emblazoned upon a wrapper covering some variety of a milk chocolate treat.
As it turns out, you can add Washington Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin to that list of great confectionery all stars as the tremendous Ovechkin blog Alex Ovetjkin shared recently. Former Capitals video man and emergency backup goalie Brett Leonhardt tweeted his findings while in Toronto and helped show off the two-time NHL MVP as a king of candy as well.
Canada’s Mr. Big candy bar has been famous for putting superstar athletes on its wrappers in the past and now it’s Ovechkin’s turn to join Shaquille O’Neal as the face of the sweet treat. Given some of the rumblings about how Ovechkin seemed out of shape this summer, tinfoil hat fans and Ovechkin haters alike will say that perhaps he’s been sampling a lot of his new product.
As for the rest of us, we’ll be hoping that we can sneak away to Canada ourselves to get a sample of the chocolate bar with caramel, peanuts, and rice crisps to fulfill our own sweet tooth.
Of course, if Ovechkin is “Mr. Big” in Canada, what does that make national hero and gold medal winner Sidney Crosby, “Mr. Ginormous?”
(Thanks to AlexOvetjkin and Brett Leonhardt for the photo)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 12
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 36
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)