Jul 30, 2011, 4:51 PM EDT
When you’re a pro athlete, you know you’ve made it as a huge star when you end up the face on a candy bar. While many will remember the legendary Reggie Bars from the 1970s with Reggie Jackson on them, guys like Randall Cunningham, Isaiah Thomas, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and even Doug Gilmour have had their likenesses emblazoned upon a wrapper covering some variety of a milk chocolate treat.
As it turns out, you can add Washington Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin to that list of great confectionery all stars as the tremendous Ovechkin blog Alex Ovetjkin shared recently. Former Capitals video man and emergency backup goalie Brett Leonhardt tweeted his findings while in Toronto and helped show off the two-time NHL MVP as a king of candy as well.
Canada’s Mr. Big candy bar has been famous for putting superstar athletes on its wrappers in the past and now it’s Ovechkin’s turn to join Shaquille O’Neal as the face of the sweet treat. Given some of the rumblings about how Ovechkin seemed out of shape this summer, tinfoil hat fans and Ovechkin haters alike will say that perhaps he’s been sampling a lot of his new product.
As for the rest of us, we’ll be hoping that we can sneak away to Canada ourselves to get a sample of the chocolate bar with caramel, peanuts, and rice crisps to fulfill our own sweet tooth.
Of course, if Ovechkin is “Mr. Big” in Canada, what does that make national hero and gold medal winner Sidney Crosby, “Mr. Ginormous?”
(Thanks to AlexOvetjkin and Brett Leonhardt for the photo)
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (81)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)