Jul 30, 2011, 4:51 PM EDT
When you’re a pro athlete, you know you’ve made it as a huge star when you end up the face on a candy bar. While many will remember the legendary Reggie Bars from the 1970s with Reggie Jackson on them, guys like Randall Cunningham, Isaiah Thomas, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and even Doug Gilmour have had their likenesses emblazoned upon a wrapper covering some variety of a milk chocolate treat.
As it turns out, you can add Washington Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin to that list of great confectionery all stars as the tremendous Ovechkin blog Alex Ovetjkin shared recently. Former Capitals video man and emergency backup goalie Brett Leonhardt tweeted his findings while in Toronto and helped show off the two-time NHL MVP as a king of candy as well.
Canada’s Mr. Big candy bar has been famous for putting superstar athletes on its wrappers in the past and now it’s Ovechkin’s turn to join Shaquille O’Neal as the face of the sweet treat. Given some of the rumblings about how Ovechkin seemed out of shape this summer, tinfoil hat fans and Ovechkin haters alike will say that perhaps he’s been sampling a lot of his new product.
As for the rest of us, we’ll be hoping that we can sneak away to Canada ourselves to get a sample of the chocolate bar with caramel, peanuts, and rice crisps to fulfill our own sweet tooth.
Of course, if Ovechkin is “Mr. Big” in Canada, what does that make national hero and gold medal winner Sidney Crosby, “Mr. Ginormous?”
(Thanks to AlexOvetjkin and Brett Leonhardt for the photo)
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)