Jul 30, 2011, 4:51 PM EDT
When you’re a pro athlete, you know you’ve made it as a huge star when you end up the face on a candy bar. While many will remember the legendary Reggie Bars from the 1970s with Reggie Jackson on them, guys like Randall Cunningham, Isaiah Thomas, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and even Doug Gilmour have had their likenesses emblazoned upon a wrapper covering some variety of a milk chocolate treat.
As it turns out, you can add Washington Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin to that list of great confectionery all stars as the tremendous Ovechkin blog Alex Ovetjkin shared recently. Former Capitals video man and emergency backup goalie Brett Leonhardt tweeted his findings while in Toronto and helped show off the two-time NHL MVP as a king of candy as well.
Canada’s Mr. Big candy bar has been famous for putting superstar athletes on its wrappers in the past and now it’s Ovechkin’s turn to join Shaquille O’Neal as the face of the sweet treat. Given some of the rumblings about how Ovechkin seemed out of shape this summer, tinfoil hat fans and Ovechkin haters alike will say that perhaps he’s been sampling a lot of his new product.
As for the rest of us, we’ll be hoping that we can sneak away to Canada ourselves to get a sample of the chocolate bar with caramel, peanuts, and rice crisps to fulfill our own sweet tooth.
Of course, if Ovechkin is “Mr. Big” in Canada, what does that make national hero and gold medal winner Sidney Crosby, “Mr. Ginormous?”
(Thanks to AlexOvetjkin and Brett Leonhardt for the photo)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)