Jul 28, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
While the New York Islanders’ run of ineptitude probably sapped some of the venom out of their rivalry over the last few years, the New York Rangers and Islanders still rev up their engines a little more when they face each other. That doesn’t mean that the two sides cannot be civil off the ice, though, as both teams are probably aware that their shared presence provides mutual benefits.
That might explain why Rangers GM Glen Sather issued a statement today to give support to the Islanders’ much-needed new arena. Rangers owner James Dolan also joined Sather in the movement to get people to vote “yes” to the August 1 referendum by appearing in a commercial as Blueshirt Banter points out.
Here is Sather’s statement.
“The rivalry that has existed between the Rangers and Islanders for almost 40 years is one of the best in hockey and in all of sports. The intense passion and emotion involved in these games is something we cherish and would like to see continue for generations to come. We urge Rangers fans, Islanders fans and all hockey fans in Nassau County to vote yes for the referendum on Monday, August 1″. – Glen Sather
Monday will obviously be a big day for the Islanders and the NHL, because even though the team hasn’t been very competitive for quite some time, it would be embarrassing to see a four-time Stanley Cup winner relocate. Stay tuned with PHT for the rest of this and next week as this story continues to develop.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)