Jul 28, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
While the New York Islanders’ run of ineptitude probably sapped some of the venom out of their rivalry over the last few years, the New York Rangers and Islanders still rev up their engines a little more when they face each other. That doesn’t mean that the two sides cannot be civil off the ice, though, as both teams are probably aware that their shared presence provides mutual benefits.
That might explain why Rangers GM Glen Sather issued a statement today to give support to the Islanders’ much-needed new arena. Rangers owner James Dolan also joined Sather in the movement to get people to vote “yes” to the August 1 referendum by appearing in a commercial as Blueshirt Banter points out.
Here is Sather’s statement.
“The rivalry that has existed between the Rangers and Islanders for almost 40 years is one of the best in hockey and in all of sports. The intense passion and emotion involved in these games is something we cherish and would like to see continue for generations to come. We urge Rangers fans, Islanders fans and all hockey fans in Nassau County to vote yes for the referendum on Monday, August 1″. – Glen Sather
Monday will obviously be a big day for the Islanders and the NHL, because even though the team hasn’t been very competitive for quite some time, it would be embarrassing to see a four-time Stanley Cup winner relocate. Stay tuned with PHT for the rest of this and next week as this story continues to develop.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)