Jul 28, 2011, 4:39 PM EDT
For the most part, hockey players are a humble, good-natured bunch. Even some of its highest paid players maintain an “aw shucks” demeanor despite all the money and fame.
Of course, with any group of people – especially in high pressure situations – there are some who go down darker paths. Few could compare their lower moments to the ones experienced by former St. Louis Blues forward Mike Danton, who recently finished a parole sentence stemming from the charges he received for attempting to hire a hitman to kill his former agent David Frost.
Their relationship was bizarre, to say the least, and it seemed like Danton might not play another high-level hockey game again after everything blew up in 2004. Danton was given a chance at redemption by playing college hockey at Saint Mary’s in Halifax, Nova Scotia in late 2010/early 2011 and it seems like he’ll continue his unlikely battle to get back into the NHL by playing in with an unnamed professional team in Sweden.
Danton said as much on his Twitter account, which Nick Kypreos pointed out.
As strange and disturbing as Danton’s past might be, it would be an amazing story if he could even get reasonably close to playing another shift in the NHL. We’ll make sure to keep an eye out for updates as his unlikely journey continues next season.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)