Jul 28, 2011, 4:39 PM EDT
For the most part, hockey players are a humble, good-natured bunch. Even some of its highest paid players maintain an “aw shucks” demeanor despite all the money and fame.
Of course, with any group of people – especially in high pressure situations – there are some who go down darker paths. Few could compare their lower moments to the ones experienced by former St. Louis Blues forward Mike Danton, who recently finished a parole sentence stemming from the charges he received for attempting to hire a hitman to kill his former agent David Frost.
Their relationship was bizarre, to say the least, and it seemed like Danton might not play another high-level hockey game again after everything blew up in 2004. Danton was given a chance at redemption by playing college hockey at Saint Mary’s in Halifax, Nova Scotia in late 2010/early 2011 and it seems like he’ll continue his unlikely battle to get back into the NHL by playing in with an unnamed professional team in Sweden.
Danton said as much on his Twitter account, which Nick Kypreos pointed out.
As strange and disturbing as Danton’s past might be, it would be an amazing story if he could even get reasonably close to playing another shift in the NHL. We’ll make sure to keep an eye out for updates as his unlikely journey continues next season.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)