Jul 28, 2011, 4:39 PM EDT
For the most part, hockey players are a humble, good-natured bunch. Even some of its highest paid players maintain an “aw shucks” demeanor despite all the money and fame.
Of course, with any group of people – especially in high pressure situations – there are some who go down darker paths. Few could compare their lower moments to the ones experienced by former St. Louis Blues forward Mike Danton, who recently finished a parole sentence stemming from the charges he received for attempting to hire a hitman to kill his former agent David Frost.
Their relationship was bizarre, to say the least, and it seemed like Danton might not play another high-level hockey game again after everything blew up in 2004. Danton was given a chance at redemption by playing college hockey at Saint Mary’s in Halifax, Nova Scotia in late 2010/early 2011 and it seems like he’ll continue his unlikely battle to get back into the NHL by playing in with an unnamed professional team in Sweden.
Danton said as much on his Twitter account, which Nick Kypreos pointed out.
As strange and disturbing as Danton’s past might be, it would be an amazing story if he could even get reasonably close to playing another shift in the NHL. We’ll make sure to keep an eye out for updates as his unlikely journey continues next season.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)