Jul 28, 2011, 12:37 PM EST
An Internet leak forced True North Sports and Entertainment to reveal the Winnipeg Jets’ new logo sooner than they would have liked. There’s at least some sentiment that what seemed like a screenshot from EA Sports’ upcoming NHL ’12 title might have done the same for the team’s yet-to-be-revealed new jerseys.
I couldn’t help but wonder as much when I read this article, but I thought that it was just a placeholder for a later time or even a Photoshop job. That being said, the possibility gained some obvious steam when the same Web site specifically pointed to the screenshot as “new Winnipeg Jets jersey” and Arctic Ice Hockey linked to it wondering if it could be true.
Of course, there are a few red flags. For one thing, the Tampa Bay Lightning are wearing their 2010-11 uniforms instead of the new duds they’ll premiere in 11-12. There’s also the problem that the supposed Jets jersey looks an awful lot like the Washington Capitals road unis (and the player featured in that shot bares a striking resemblance to Nicklas Backstrom).
To get the answer, we asked EA Sports, who made two things clear:
1. That screenshot isn’t from EA (meaning someone else created it in one way or another).
2. They’re in the process of including the Jets in the upcoming game (although it isn’t clear if they know what the new uniforms will look like).
Here’s a statement we received from EA.
We’re excited to welcome the Winnipeg Jets to the NHL for the 2011-12 season. We are in the process of taking the necessary steps to incorporate them into NHL 12 – but at this point have no announcements on how that will happen and what it will look like. We will have more details in the near future on how it will appear in game.
So there you go. With the Jets/True North falling victim to the leak of their logos last week, it wouldn’t be surprising if people generate a steady stream of hoaxes. Jets’ director of communications Scott Brown already shot down one fake leak of the team’s new jerseys last weekend, as you can see in this story from the Winnipeg Free Press. (H/T to Chip Markman.)
“Not even close,” Brown told the Free Press on Sunday.
The doctored photo does sport the Jets’ new primary logo, the fighter jet on top of the red maple leaf inside a roundel similar to the one commonly used by the Royal Canadian Air Force, and winged shoulder patch, designs which were unveiled by the team on Friday.
“I suppose we’re in for a good month of this,” Brown added.
The team’s reported plans are to share the new look in September, but it’s starting to seem like the Jets will need to guard their secrets like the juiciest bits of a hot Hollywood script. We’ll let you know if someone plays “spoiler” with the new Jets jerseys between now and the planned announcement.
(Unofficial screenshot via GameRant.com.)
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56