Jul 28, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
An Internet leak forced True North Sports and Entertainment to reveal the Winnipeg Jets’ new logo sooner than they would have liked. There’s at least some sentiment that what seemed like a screenshot from EA Sports’ upcoming NHL ’12 title might have done the same for the team’s yet-to-be-revealed new jerseys.
I couldn’t help but wonder as much when I read this article, but I thought that it was just a placeholder for a later time or even a Photoshop job. That being said, the possibility gained some obvious steam when the same Web site specifically pointed to the screenshot as “new Winnipeg Jets jersey” and Arctic Ice Hockey linked to it wondering if it could be true.
Of course, there are a few red flags. For one thing, the Tampa Bay Lightning are wearing their 2010-11 uniforms instead of the new duds they’ll premiere in 11-12. There’s also the problem that the supposed Jets jersey looks an awful lot like the Washington Capitals road unis (and the player featured in that shot bares a striking resemblance to Nicklas Backstrom).
To get the answer, we asked EA Sports, who made two things clear:
1. That screenshot isn’t from EA (meaning someone else created it in one way or another).
2. They’re in the process of including the Jets in the upcoming game (although it isn’t clear if they know what the new uniforms will look like).
Here’s a statement we received from EA.
We’re excited to welcome the Winnipeg Jets to the NHL for the 2011-12 season. We are in the process of taking the necessary steps to incorporate them into NHL 12 – but at this point have no announcements on how that will happen and what it will look like. We will have more details in the near future on how it will appear in game.
So there you go. With the Jets/True North falling victim to the leak of their logos last week, it wouldn’t be surprising if people generate a steady stream of hoaxes. Jets’ director of communications Scott Brown already shot down one fake leak of the team’s new jerseys last weekend, as you can see in this story from the Winnipeg Free Press. (H/T to Chip Markman.)
“Not even close,” Brown told the Free Press on Sunday.
The doctored photo does sport the Jets’ new primary logo, the fighter jet on top of the red maple leaf inside a roundel similar to the one commonly used by the Royal Canadian Air Force, and winged shoulder patch, designs which were unveiled by the team on Friday.
“I suppose we’re in for a good month of this,” Brown added.
The team’s reported plans are to share the new look in September, but it’s starting to seem like the Jets will need to guard their secrets like the juiciest bits of a hot Hollywood script. We’ll let you know if someone plays “spoiler” with the new Jets jerseys between now and the planned announcement.
(Unofficial screenshot via GameRant.com.)
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 0
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 36
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0