Jul 27, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
This off-season provided plenty of puzzling moves, so the Anaheim Ducks’ perceived indifference toward bringing back goalie Ray Emery didn’t really stand out all that much. That shouldn’t take away from the fact that the Ducks are being surprisingly cavalier about their goaltending situation, though; with little in the way of updates regarding Jonas Hiller‘s troubling vertigo issues, you’d think they would have given more thought to bringing back Emery (aka the guy who helped them complete their playoff push).
It could be that the Ducks simply don’t expect Emery’s injury issues to clear up, though. Either way, the Chicago Blackhawks continued their off-season of shrewd, low-risk moves by inviting the eccentric netminder to their training camp on a tryout basis according to ESPN’s Scott Burnside.
While the Blackhawks’ No. 1 starter clearly is Corey Crawford, the team has some questions behind him. There are many (including PHT’s own Joe Yerdon) who speak volumes about the moxie of their odds-on backup Alexander Salak. That being said, Salak is unproven at the NHL level, with just two games of experience with the Florida Panthers in 2009-10 (0-1-0 with six goals allowed on 40 shots).
Some might undermine the importance of a solid backup, but the Blackhawks’ renewed hopes of returning to legitimate contender status in 2011-12 could be dashed with a Crawford injury if Salak isn’t up to snuff. That’s why it’s a wise move for the team to take an inexpensive look at Emery. Perhaps the goalie could impress but acknowledge his limited options by signing a two-way contract?
Don’t get me wrong, Salak is still the clear frontrunner to backup Crawford. He even has a one-way contract, which means the Blackhawks will pay him the same amount of money if he’s in the NHL or AHL. Then again, the Blackhawks aren’t exactly shy about paying a goalie not to play on their team if it increases their chances of winning (see: Huet, Cristobal).
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)