Jul 27, 2011, 11:25 PM EST
Now that we’re seeing contracts getting settled out all over the place, there’s a few guys with big names still waiting to be signed by their teams. Zach Parise, Drew Doughty, and Luke Schenn are all still waiting to be signed to new deals as restricted free agents but perhaps the biggest and most important one is Nashville’s Shea Weber.
Weber is the Predators captain and he’s just shy of turning 26 years-old. With his arbitration hearing coming up on August 2, the Predators and GM David Poile would love to get a deal done with him ahead of time and get him locked up to a long term deal. With time ticking down, things aren’t quite moving along fast.
Josh Cooper of The Tennessean has the update on how slowly things are moving with Weber courtesy of David Poile.
There isn’t much to report. We talked with David Poile earlier, and this is what he had to say: “Nothing new. We reached out to his agent yesterday and haven’t heard anything back yet today. We are preparing to go to Toronto (for arbitration). Would I like to sign Shea to a longer-term contract vs. going to arbitration? Absolutely.”
So far this summer, there’s been one case that went to arbitration and that resulted in Chris Campoli getting $2.5 million and being turned down by the Blackhawks. Arbitration isn’t the most fun process as we’ve been mentioning all summer long and having to take your team captain through that doesn’t exactly create warm, fuzzy feelings for everyone. Going to arbitration also means getting just a one year deal done and not the long term deal they’re hoping to get done with Weber.
Given how everything else has played out with other restricted free agents, especially those with potential arbitration cases, we’re not doubting that Weber gets a contract done before August 2. The Predators are trying to do it all right though and get a deal that makes sense all around. While they’re normally a frugal team, going all out to take care of, arguably, their best player wouldn’t be held against them.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (80)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)