Jul 27, 2011, 11:25 PM EDT
Now that we’re seeing contracts getting settled out all over the place, there’s a few guys with big names still waiting to be signed by their teams. Zach Parise, Drew Doughty, and Luke Schenn are all still waiting to be signed to new deals as restricted free agents but perhaps the biggest and most important one is Nashville’s Shea Weber.
Weber is the Predators captain and he’s just shy of turning 26 years-old. With his arbitration hearing coming up on August 2, the Predators and GM David Poile would love to get a deal done with him ahead of time and get him locked up to a long term deal. With time ticking down, things aren’t quite moving along fast.
Josh Cooper of The Tennessean has the update on how slowly things are moving with Weber courtesy of David Poile.
There isn’t much to report. We talked with David Poile earlier, and this is what he had to say: “Nothing new. We reached out to his agent yesterday and haven’t heard anything back yet today. We are preparing to go to Toronto (for arbitration). Would I like to sign Shea to a longer-term contract vs. going to arbitration? Absolutely.”
So far this summer, there’s been one case that went to arbitration and that resulted in Chris Campoli getting $2.5 million and being turned down by the Blackhawks. Arbitration isn’t the most fun process as we’ve been mentioning all summer long and having to take your team captain through that doesn’t exactly create warm, fuzzy feelings for everyone. Going to arbitration also means getting just a one year deal done and not the long term deal they’re hoping to get done with Weber.
Given how everything else has played out with other restricted free agents, especially those with potential arbitration cases, we’re not doubting that Weber gets a contract done before August 2. The Predators are trying to do it all right though and get a deal that makes sense all around. While they’re normally a frugal team, going all out to take care of, arguably, their best player wouldn’t be held against them.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)