Jul 26, 2011, 3:31 PM EST
The Penguins will never say “no” to a player capable of playing the wing and potentially able to score goals. After all, such is life when you have Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and a desperate need to surround them with guys capable of handling their passes to help score more goals.
The Pens did some work in that department already by bringing in former Nashville standout Steve Sullivan and now they’re hoping they can catch some lightning in a bottle by signing former Red Wing and Stars forward Jason Williams to a one-year, two-way contract. Should Williams stick with the Penguins, the contract will pay him $600,000.
Last year with Dallas, Williams had two goals and three assists in 27 games with the Stars. In the past as a Red Wing and a Blackhawk, he was used as a power play helper with a decent shot. Now on the other side of 30 years-old, Williams will be strictly a depth help guy with solid NHL experience.
With some of the minor league losses the Penguins have seen this summer (Tim Wallace to the Islanders, Chris Conner to Detroit for example) getting Williams into the mix at Wilkes Barre-Scranton makes a world of sense. If the Pens are somehow stricken by the same injury problems they had last season, calling on a guy like Williams will at least help for a bit as younger guys like Dustin Jeffrey and Mark Letestu should have full-time jobs in Pittsburgh next season.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 34
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 50
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)