Jul 26, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT
The Penguins will never say “no” to a player capable of playing the wing and potentially able to score goals. After all, such is life when you have Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and a desperate need to surround them with guys capable of handling their passes to help score more goals.
The Pens did some work in that department already by bringing in former Nashville standout Steve Sullivan and now they’re hoping they can catch some lightning in a bottle by signing former Red Wing and Stars forward Jason Williams to a one-year, two-way contract. Should Williams stick with the Penguins, the contract will pay him $600,000.
Last year with Dallas, Williams had two goals and three assists in 27 games with the Stars. In the past as a Red Wing and a Blackhawk, he was used as a power play helper with a decent shot. Now on the other side of 30 years-old, Williams will be strictly a depth help guy with solid NHL experience.
With some of the minor league losses the Penguins have seen this summer (Tim Wallace to the Islanders, Chris Conner to Detroit for example) getting Williams into the mix at Wilkes Barre-Scranton makes a world of sense. If the Pens are somehow stricken by the same injury problems they had last season, calling on a guy like Williams will at least help for a bit as younger guys like Dustin Jeffrey and Mark Letestu should have full-time jobs in Pittsburgh next season.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates, leaves early 1
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 23
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)