Jul 26, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT
The Penguins will never say “no” to a player capable of playing the wing and potentially able to score goals. After all, such is life when you have Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and a desperate need to surround them with guys capable of handling their passes to help score more goals.
The Pens did some work in that department already by bringing in former Nashville standout Steve Sullivan and now they’re hoping they can catch some lightning in a bottle by signing former Red Wing and Stars forward Jason Williams to a one-year, two-way contract. Should Williams stick with the Penguins, the contract will pay him $600,000.
Last year with Dallas, Williams had two goals and three assists in 27 games with the Stars. In the past as a Red Wing and a Blackhawk, he was used as a power play helper with a decent shot. Now on the other side of 30 years-old, Williams will be strictly a depth help guy with solid NHL experience.
With some of the minor league losses the Penguins have seen this summer (Tim Wallace to the Islanders, Chris Conner to Detroit for example) getting Williams into the mix at Wilkes Barre-Scranton makes a world of sense. If the Pens are somehow stricken by the same injury problems they had last season, calling on a guy like Williams will at least help for a bit as younger guys like Dustin Jeffrey and Mark Letestu should have full-time jobs in Pittsburgh next season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)