Jul 26, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Say what you will about the Winnipeg Jets’ new air force-inspired logo,* if the goal was to cash in on the excitement related to the team’s rebirth, then it seems like True North passed that test with flying colors.
Global Winnipeg reports that merchandise carrying the new Jets’ logo generated $200K in sales as of Tuesday morning, a very impressive rate considering the fact that it was unveiled on Friday. The report indicates that there have been 5,500 different transactions. Keep in mind that T-shirts and hats were available but that Global Winnipeg report indicates that other items (such as scarves and drinking glasses) will come in the future, so this might just be the tip of the iceberg. That same report reveals that 75 percent of the purchases were made during the weekend after the announcement was made on Friday.
Obviously, the biggest piece of the marketing (and on-ice) puzzle is still to come, as the team’s jerseys haven’t been revealed yet. The report indicates that fans should be able to pre-order jerseys sometime this week, which might be a solid idea considering how quickly everything from tickets to merchandise has been selling since the team’s relocation was made official.
* – You still can say what you want about that new logo by voting in the poll, by the way.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)