Jul 26, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Say what you will about the Winnipeg Jets’ new air force-inspired logo,* if the goal was to cash in on the excitement related to the team’s rebirth, then it seems like True North passed that test with flying colors.
Global Winnipeg reports that merchandise carrying the new Jets’ logo generated $200K in sales as of Tuesday morning, a very impressive rate considering the fact that it was unveiled on Friday. The report indicates that there have been 5,500 different transactions. Keep in mind that T-shirts and hats were available but that Global Winnipeg report indicates that other items (such as scarves and drinking glasses) will come in the future, so this might just be the tip of the iceberg. That same report reveals that 75 percent of the purchases were made during the weekend after the announcement was made on Friday.
Obviously, the biggest piece of the marketing (and on-ice) puzzle is still to come, as the team’s jerseys haven’t been revealed yet. The report indicates that fans should be able to pre-order jerseys sometime this week, which might be a solid idea considering how quickly everything from tickets to merchandise has been selling since the team’s relocation was made official.
* – You still can say what you want about that new logo by voting in the poll, by the way.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)