Jul 26, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Say what you will about the Winnipeg Jets’ new air force-inspired logo,* if the goal was to cash in on the excitement related to the team’s rebirth, then it seems like True North passed that test with flying colors.
Global Winnipeg reports that merchandise carrying the new Jets’ logo generated $200K in sales as of Tuesday morning, a very impressive rate considering the fact that it was unveiled on Friday. The report indicates that there have been 5,500 different transactions. Keep in mind that T-shirts and hats were available but that Global Winnipeg report indicates that other items (such as scarves and drinking glasses) will come in the future, so this might just be the tip of the iceberg. That same report reveals that 75 percent of the purchases were made during the weekend after the announcement was made on Friday.
Obviously, the biggest piece of the marketing (and on-ice) puzzle is still to come, as the team’s jerseys haven’t been revealed yet. The report indicates that fans should be able to pre-order jerseys sometime this week, which might be a solid idea considering how quickly everything from tickets to merchandise has been selling since the team’s relocation was made official.
* – You still can say what you want about that new logo by voting in the poll, by the way.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6