Jul 26, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Say what you will about the Winnipeg Jets’ new air force-inspired logo,* if the goal was to cash in on the excitement related to the team’s rebirth, then it seems like True North passed that test with flying colors.
Global Winnipeg reports that merchandise carrying the new Jets’ logo generated $200K in sales as of Tuesday morning, a very impressive rate considering the fact that it was unveiled on Friday. The report indicates that there have been 5,500 different transactions. Keep in mind that T-shirts and hats were available but that Global Winnipeg report indicates that other items (such as scarves and drinking glasses) will come in the future, so this might just be the tip of the iceberg. That same report reveals that 75 percent of the purchases were made during the weekend after the announcement was made on Friday.
Obviously, the biggest piece of the marketing (and on-ice) puzzle is still to come, as the team’s jerseys haven’t been revealed yet. The report indicates that fans should be able to pre-order jerseys sometime this week, which might be a solid idea considering how quickly everything from tickets to merchandise has been selling since the team’s relocation was made official.
* – You still can say what you want about that new logo by voting in the poll, by the way.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)