Jul 26, 2011, 6:26 PM EST
One would have to think that going into an arbitration hearing up against Devils GM Lou Lamoriello has to rank up there as one of the worst things to do when trying to win a case. You’d have to think that’s just what was going through defenseman Mark Fraser‘s mind as time ticked away leading up to his arbitration hearing on August 4.
Fraser and the Devils agreed to have peace in Newark and settled upon a one-year, $550,000 contract to have Fraser provide blue line depth and toughness for a Devils team that’s not likely to be lacking in aggression. Last season, Fraser played in 26 games in New Jersey amassing no goals and two assists while piling up 29 penalty minutes. Fraser had his season interrupted by a broken right hand suffered in October that kept him out of action for over a month. Fraser also suffered a scarier injury getting hit in the face with a puck in April.
Fraser will be part of the depth unit of Devils defensemen fighting for a job with Mark Fayne, Matt Corrente, Jay Leach, and Matt Taormina. Should Fraser get the minutes he’s looking for, he’ll join Eric Boulton and Cam Janssen as part of a unit that can fight for themselves and the puck as well.
With Fraser all set, the Devils will now no longer have any other distractions away from their last restricted free agent in Zach Parise. Those negotiations figure to be a bit more interesting in how they’re settled.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)