Jul 25, 2011, 11:27 AM EST
When the Winnipeg Jets (somewhat involuntarily) shared their new logo with the world, there was no denying its resemblance to the Royal Canadian Air Force’s roundel. True North Sports and Entertainment admitted that it was inspired by the air force’s emblem (and that their logo was created with some help from Reebok and the NHL), in their press release related to the announcement.
Now it’s looking like the relationship between the Jets/True North and the Royal Canadian Air Force is about more than just artistic inspiration. The team is clearly tying its “brand identity” to the military branch, as you can see from their Web site. That relationship became even more tangible on Sunday as CBC News reports that True North will donate $1 million to military charities for the next 10 years. CBC News explains that the donations will go to three different charities: the Air Force Heritage Fund, Soldier On and the Military Families Fund.
Maj.-Gen. Alain Parent, commander of 1 Canadian Air Division, said it was easy to partner with the new hockey outfit.
“Winnipeg has had a long association with the air force,” he said. “Blue Bombers and Jets are both aircraft that have served or are serving the air force.”
“In turn, we consider Winnipeg to be the heart of the air force,” he said.
Some might find the association between a military outfit and a professional hockey team to be unsettling, but it’s clear that the bond has been made for the next decade. Sports teams frequently pay tribute to military members in attendance by offering them nice seats, ovations and other kind gestures, but there aren’t many moments when a franchise literally pays tribute like this.
Want to share your thoughts on how the new Jets’ logo looks? Vote in this poll.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)