Jul 25, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
If the last few days taught us anything, it’s that it’s tough to keep secrets in the Internet age. For those of you who wondered why the Winnipeg Jets shared their new logo on what seemed like a random Friday in July, the reasoning becomes obvious when you consider the fact that it was already leaked.
This time around, it was a team’s own Web site that accidentally shared the news, as George Malik showed off his sharp vision by pointing out that a Kris Draper photo caption spilled the beans that he will announce his retirement on Tuesday.
To be fair to the Red Wings, it’s not as if Draper’s announcement can really compare to the retirements of Chris Osgood and Brian Rafalski or Nicklas Lidstrom‘s to opt against retirement. Injuries and healthy scratches limited Draper to just 47 games played during the 2010-11 regular season and although he’s made some appearances in the playoffs, he’s averaged less than 10 minutes per postseason contest the last three years.
Many associate Detroit’s incredible run of success with draft day steals, but Draper represents one of the team’s better reclamation projects (see also: Daniel Cleary). The first version of the Winnipeg Jets traded him to the Red Wings in June 1993 and Draper stuck with the Red Wings ever since, becoming a part of four Stanley Cup-winning teams. Draper will probably be best remembered for his days on “The Grind Line,” which also featured Joe Kocur and Kirk Maltby.
Obviously, this is far from official, so we’ll pass along an update if/once he decides to retire.
Update: It’s official, but the press conference will take place tomorrow as indicated.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 28
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 26
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 22
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 59
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22