Jul 25, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
If the last few days taught us anything, it’s that it’s tough to keep secrets in the Internet age. For those of you who wondered why the Winnipeg Jets shared their new logo on what seemed like a random Friday in July, the reasoning becomes obvious when you consider the fact that it was already leaked.
This time around, it was a team’s own Web site that accidentally shared the news, as George Malik showed off his sharp vision by pointing out that a Kris Draper photo caption spilled the beans that he will announce his retirement on Tuesday.
To be fair to the Red Wings, it’s not as if Draper’s announcement can really compare to the retirements of Chris Osgood and Brian Rafalski or Nicklas Lidstrom‘s to opt against retirement. Injuries and healthy scratches limited Draper to just 47 games played during the 2010-11 regular season and although he’s made some appearances in the playoffs, he’s averaged less than 10 minutes per postseason contest the last three years.
Many associate Detroit’s incredible run of success with draft day steals, but Draper represents one of the team’s better reclamation projects (see also: Daniel Cleary). The first version of the Winnipeg Jets traded him to the Red Wings in June 1993 and Draper stuck with the Red Wings ever since, becoming a part of four Stanley Cup-winning teams. Draper will probably be best remembered for his days on “The Grind Line,” which also featured Joe Kocur and Kirk Maltby.
Obviously, this is far from official, so we’ll pass along an update if/once he decides to retire.
Update: It’s official, but the press conference will take place tomorrow as indicated.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)