Jul 25, 2011, 5:44 PM EST
Aaron Boogaard fulfilled the first part of his obligations stemming from last week’s charges related to his involvement in his brother Derek Boogaard’s prescription drug-related death by appearing in Minneapolis court today. Aaron didn’t enter a plea during that first Monday court date, according to the Associated Press.
Aaron Boogaard is accused of providing the painkillers that ultimately contributed to his brother’s death. (Derek died because of a toxic mixture of oxycodone and alcohol). Aaron is also being charged with flushing the remaining non-prescribed pills down the toilet between the time he called about Derek’s death and when authorities arrived at the two brothers’ apartment. That amounts to a felony charge for drug possession (“third degree sale of a controlled substance”) and a gross misdemeanor for “interference with a death.”
The Associated Press report indicates that Minnesota state guidelines recommend a sentence of 21 months of probation. Here is a little bit more from that AP report.
Aaron Boogaard remains free on bail but must avoid alcohol and non-prescribed drugs. Neither he nor his attorney, John Lundquist, commented on the charges after the hearing. Lundquist last week said they would address the allegations in court rather than in the media, and that his client is devastated by his brother’s death.
Lundquist did explain Monday why immigration officials put a hold on his Canadian client after his arrest last week. He said the visa that lets Boogaard play hockey in the U.S. doesn’t extend to the offseason, and that it’s a common problem among players.
Aaron Boogaard’s next court date is on August 17. We’ll keep you updated about this sad situation.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 11
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 29
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 46
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)