Jul 25, 2011, 5:44 PM EDT
Aaron Boogaard fulfilled the first part of his obligations stemming from last week’s charges related to his involvement in his brother Derek Boogaard’s prescription drug-related death by appearing in Minneapolis court today. Aaron didn’t enter a plea during that first Monday court date, according to the Associated Press.
Aaron Boogaard is accused of providing the painkillers that ultimately contributed to his brother’s death. (Derek died because of a toxic mixture of oxycodone and alcohol). Aaron is also being charged with flushing the remaining non-prescribed pills down the toilet between the time he called about Derek’s death and when authorities arrived at the two brothers’ apartment. That amounts to a felony charge for drug possession (“third degree sale of a controlled substance”) and a gross misdemeanor for “interference with a death.”
The Associated Press report indicates that Minnesota state guidelines recommend a sentence of 21 months of probation. Here is a little bit more from that AP report.
Aaron Boogaard remains free on bail but must avoid alcohol and non-prescribed drugs. Neither he nor his attorney, John Lundquist, commented on the charges after the hearing. Lundquist last week said they would address the allegations in court rather than in the media, and that his client is devastated by his brother’s death.
Lundquist did explain Monday why immigration officials put a hold on his Canadian client after his arrest last week. He said the visa that lets Boogaard play hockey in the U.S. doesn’t extend to the offseason, and that it’s a common problem among players.
Aaron Boogaard’s next court date is on August 17. We’ll keep you updated about this sad situation.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)