Doc Emrick joins NBC/Versus as full-time play-by-play man

Jul 21, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT

Doc Emrick

Doc Emrick is a man we’ve all gotten to know and appreciate as the main play-by-play voice during the Stanley Cup playoffs on Versus and NBC over the last few years as well as from his time calling games for the New Jersey Devils. While Doc is a guy that NHL fans nationally have gotten to know and hear more over the last few years, they’re going to get to hear him on a full-time basis now as Emrick has signed on to become the full-time play-by-play man for NBC/Versus and the NHL.

Emrick will be leaving his post with the New Jersey Devils as their top play-by-play man and, as always, did so by announcing with great class and respect for Devils fans that have enjoyed his work over the past 21 years with a warm and thoughtful letter shared on the Devils website.

To the marvelous fans of the New Jersey Devils:

A good friend advised me several years ago that before any major decision, you should look in the mirror and look at your birth certificate.

Since my contracts with MSG, VERSUS, and NBC all expired late this spring, this was another of those times. I discovered that the birth certificate couldn’t be changed and it showed me to be 65 in a few days.

I’ve been extremely fortunate to have been able to spend 23 incredible years with the MSG Network channels and 21 equally enjoyable years–including 3 Stanley Cup championships–with the New Jersey Devils.  However, considering the long-term significance of this decision, I was able to construct a lighter regular season-schedule and the usual complement of Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final games for NBC and VERSUS.

But that assurance of less travel and fewer games has regrettably led me to end my association with the MSG Network channels and the Devils.

The people at both of these organizations have been incredibly loyal to me and have been very patient waiting until mid-summer for me to reach this decision. Both have also provided me only positive memories, support, and encouragement over these many seasons.

I wanted Devils fans to know of this news quickly after I reached the decision since their kindness to my wife Joyce and me on countless occasions brought us so much joy. Candidly, it has also left me with a sense of regret that I will not be continuing to call the team’s games.

Words in prepared statements like these usually read very cold. Despite that, I hope you will sense how much I have enjoyed being around you and the team. This seemed the best way to get this news to you in the middle of the off-season.

I wish MSG Network and the Devils and Devils fans nothing but the greatest success in the years to come.

With Great Appreciation,

Doc

Emrick’s storied broadcast career has seen him become the voice of the NHL in the United States and his call of the game is often the highlight of any broadcast he’s a part of. Having him become the full-time lead voice for NBC and Versus helps further the strength of having not only a great broadcaster, but one with a wealth of knowledge on the game take the reins.

1. quizguy66 - Jul 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I will really miss having him on the Devils games – just won’t be the same without him. Congrats to NBC/Versus for landing this legend full time. The nicest man in hockey, hands down.

-QG

2. hanktheking - Jul 21, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Class act.

3. hockeyfan1701 - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Simply the best.

4. sknut - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM

He makes listening to a game so easy. I am happy for Versus/NBC and sad for Devlis fans, its hard to find good announcers.

5. greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Definatly the best play by play guy calling hockey. Great for NBC/Whatever versus will be called/ and USA network.

6. bcjim - Jul 21, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Sorry to interrupt this Devils lovefest…I can’t stand his voice.

7. joeypucks - Jul 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Great guy, I always love the words he chooses when calling plays, rather than resorting to your standard play by play verbage. Very unique and actually makes me laugh or at least smile sometime. I even try to remember them, but for the life of me I can’t remember any quotes right now! =( I guess we really are in the middle of the off season!
    Congrats & Happy B-day Doc!

8. jpelle82 - Jul 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM

annoying…he gets lost with himself, is always running out of breath, and is always 5 seconds behind the play on his calls.

9. donttouchthedirtypenny - Jul 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Echo jpelle’s comments

10. nhlbruins90 - Jul 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

It took a while for him to grow on me, but he’s good. His quirky asides are sometimes very funny. Now, if you would all give Jack Edwards a little time to grow on you …

11. t9tookey - Jul 21, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Nothing short of one of the greatest play by play guy in sports. Happy to know I can hear him on the games.

12. westwoodwarrior8 - Jul 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM

“and another try” God i love when doc says that line lol

13. capsrockva - Jul 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM

as a Caps fan I’m sad cause I already knew he was replacing Joe B., one the greatest hockey play by play people in the business. Joe B was on a local radio show called Parker & Parker about just before the merger/buyout was announced and that show got a lot of call ins cause of that

14. donttouchthedirtypenny - Jul 22, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Gary Thorne is still the best. At least I get to hear him during NCAA Frozen Four broadcasts. Thorne and Bill Clement were one of the all-time great pairings. Like Summerall and Madden.

• paulsdamnblog - Jul 22, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I used to love listening to Thorne and Clement/Darren Pang on ESPN. Great combos both!

15. dcent87 - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Hes annoying..and so anti philadelphia…obviously we aren’t thr most loved team in the league but aren’t broadcasters supposed to be non bias

16. mgp1219 - Jul 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM

i think he is very good and really like some of the diction he uses when calling a game; however, of late he frequently calls the name of the wrong player involved in a play. pay attention to that next season and you will catch it.

maybe he needs thicker glasses…just sayin’…

17. paulsdamnblog - Jul 22, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Now that is a seriously classy way to exit an organization you’ve been a part of for years. Way to go Doc’.

18. cotts1 - Jul 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Ken Daniels is the best play by play guy….Emrick has an annoying voice and isn’t very knowledgeable about the game or the players.

Bruins faithful should be worried

Top 10 NHL Player Searches