Jul 21, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
Another day, another arbitration case avoided with a last-minute signing.
This time around it all works in the benefit of both Brandon Dubinsky and the New York Rangers as Dubinsky signed a four-year deal with the team reportedly worth $16.8 million. That gives Dubinsky a salary cap hit of $4.2 million over the next four years. Dubinsky’s case, had it gone to an arbitration hearing, would’ve been a fascinating one to deliberate given his worth to the team and his performance with the Rangers last season.
Dubinsky was the Rangers leading scorer last season with 54 points. His 24 goals and 30 assists both led the team as well and during their first round series loss to Washington, he was again their leading man with two goals and an assist as the Rangers were bounced out in five games.
Dubinsky has been able to pair up with linemate and fellow restricted free agent Ryan Callahan to form a great second line duo for the Rangers. While Callahan will get his contract figured out likely before he heads to arbitration, with Brad Richards now in New York to help get Marian Gaborik going, perhaps the ice will be freed up for Dubinsky and Callahan to score a few more points themselves as the Rangers look to have their offense improve in a big way.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)