Jul 21, 2011, 12:26 PM EST
Another day, another arbitration case avoided with a last-minute signing.
This time around it all works in the benefit of both Brandon Dubinsky and the New York Rangers as Dubinsky signed a four-year deal with the team reportedly worth $16.8 million. That gives Dubinsky a salary cap hit of $4.2 million over the next four years. Dubinsky’s case, had it gone to an arbitration hearing, would’ve been a fascinating one to deliberate given his worth to the team and his performance with the Rangers last season.
Dubinsky was the Rangers leading scorer last season with 54 points. His 24 goals and 30 assists both led the team as well and during their first round series loss to Washington, he was again their leading man with two goals and an assist as the Rangers were bounced out in five games.
Dubinsky has been able to pair up with linemate and fellow restricted free agent Ryan Callahan to form a great second line duo for the Rangers. While Callahan will get his contract figured out likely before he heads to arbitration, with Brad Richards now in New York to help get Marian Gaborik going, perhaps the ice will be freed up for Dubinsky and Callahan to score a few more points themselves as the Rangers look to have their offense improve in a big way.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)