Jul 21, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
Another day, another arbitration case avoided with a last-minute signing.
This time around it all works in the benefit of both Brandon Dubinsky and the New York Rangers as Dubinsky signed a four-year deal with the team reportedly worth $16.8 million. That gives Dubinsky a salary cap hit of $4.2 million over the next four years. Dubinsky’s case, had it gone to an arbitration hearing, would’ve been a fascinating one to deliberate given his worth to the team and his performance with the Rangers last season.
Dubinsky was the Rangers leading scorer last season with 54 points. His 24 goals and 30 assists both led the team as well and during their first round series loss to Washington, he was again their leading man with two goals and an assist as the Rangers were bounced out in five games.
Dubinsky has been able to pair up with linemate and fellow restricted free agent Ryan Callahan to form a great second line duo for the Rangers. While Callahan will get his contract figured out likely before he heads to arbitration, with Brad Richards now in New York to help get Marian Gaborik going, perhaps the ice will be freed up for Dubinsky and Callahan to score a few more points themselves as the Rangers look to have their offense improve in a big way.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)