Jul 20, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Here are two bits of Pittsburgh Penguins news from today.
- For the second summer in a row, hard-hitting Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik underwent surgery to recover from a hernia. Orpik underwent surgery on his left side in 2010 and on his right side this time around. Team doctor Lawrence Biskin reports that surgery was successful and Orpik’s window of recovery is expected to take 6-8 weeks.
Orpik’s role with Pittsburgh is clear: hit people and play responsibly in his own end. He lead the team in hits with 194 in an injury-shortened 2010-11 season and was even further head of the rest of squad with 255 in 09-10.
- Speaking of players who are recovering from significant injuries, the Penguins shared some of Evgeni Malkin’s recovery process today.
This link contains a lengthier video of Malkin going through drills with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar in Moscow, but the highlight of the video revolves around the Russian star showing off his ridiculous hand-eye coordination. It reminds me a bit of an old Tiger Woods commercial in which he shows off similar skills. If nothing else, it proves that Sidney Crosby isn’t the only Penguins forward whose skills are worthy of hockey trick videos.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 18
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 17
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 41
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 119
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7