Jul 20, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
Here are two bits of Pittsburgh Penguins news from today.
- For the second summer in a row, hard-hitting Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik underwent surgery to recover from a hernia. Orpik underwent surgery on his left side in 2010 and on his right side this time around. Team doctor Lawrence Biskin reports that surgery was successful and Orpik’s window of recovery is expected to take 6-8 weeks.
Orpik’s role with Pittsburgh is clear: hit people and play responsibly in his own end. He lead the team in hits with 194 in an injury-shortened 2010-11 season and was even further head of the rest of squad with 255 in 09-10.
- Speaking of players who are recovering from significant injuries, the Penguins shared some of Evgeni Malkin’s recovery process today.
This link contains a lengthier video of Malkin going through drills with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar in Moscow, but the highlight of the video revolves around the Russian star showing off his ridiculous hand-eye coordination. It reminds me a bit of an old Tiger Woods commercial in which he shows off similar skills. If nothing else, it proves that Sidney Crosby isn’t the only Penguins forward whose skills are worthy of hockey trick videos.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)