Jul 20, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Here are two bits of Pittsburgh Penguins news from today.
- For the second summer in a row, hard-hitting Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik underwent surgery to recover from a hernia. Orpik underwent surgery on his left side in 2010 and on his right side this time around. Team doctor Lawrence Biskin reports that surgery was successful and Orpik’s window of recovery is expected to take 6-8 weeks.
Orpik’s role with Pittsburgh is clear: hit people and play responsibly in his own end. He lead the team in hits with 194 in an injury-shortened 2010-11 season and was even further head of the rest of squad with 255 in 09-10.
- Speaking of players who are recovering from significant injuries, the Penguins shared some of Evgeni Malkin’s recovery process today.
This link contains a lengthier video of Malkin going through drills with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar in Moscow, but the highlight of the video revolves around the Russian star showing off his ridiculous hand-eye coordination. It reminds me a bit of an old Tiger Woods commercial in which he shows off similar skills. If nothing else, it proves that Sidney Crosby isn’t the only Penguins forward whose skills are worthy of hockey trick videos.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)