Jul 20, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Here are two bits of Pittsburgh Penguins news from today.
- For the second summer in a row, hard-hitting Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik underwent surgery to recover from a hernia. Orpik underwent surgery on his left side in 2010 and on his right side this time around. Team doctor Lawrence Biskin reports that surgery was successful and Orpik’s window of recovery is expected to take 6-8 weeks.
Orpik’s role with Pittsburgh is clear: hit people and play responsibly in his own end. He lead the team in hits with 194 in an injury-shortened 2010-11 season and was even further head of the rest of squad with 255 in 09-10.
- Speaking of players who are recovering from significant injuries, the Penguins shared some of Evgeni Malkin’s recovery process today.
This link contains a lengthier video of Malkin going through drills with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar in Moscow, but the highlight of the video revolves around the Russian star showing off his ridiculous hand-eye coordination. It reminds me a bit of an old Tiger Woods commercial in which he shows off similar skills. If nothing else, it proves that Sidney Crosby isn’t the only Penguins forward whose skills are worthy of hockey trick videos.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)