Jul 20, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
The NHL signed a huge 10-year TV deal with the NBC Sports Group during the playoffs, leaving some to think that the league left Disney (which owns ABC and ESPN) out in the cold. That doesn’t seem to be true in every sense, though, as the two companies are teaming up on a new promotion.
Starting in the fall of 2011, characters from the Disney Channel show “Phineas and Ferb” will make their way onto NHL merchandise. This post’s main image is an example of that partnership. A press release reveals that the merchandise will extend to “apparel, headwear, house & home products and collectibles.”
If you’re like me and you’ve never heard of this program before, the show has been nominated for a variety of awards and took home a 2010 Daytime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Writing in Animation.” Here’s a quick summary of what the show is all about, via IMDB.com.
An animated comedy about two stepbrothers who find inventive things to do on each day of their summer vacation such as building a roller coaster out of materials you would find in your everyday home like Popsicle sticks, indoor plumbing, etc. Unbeknownst to them, their pet platypus, Perry, leads a double life as a secret agent.
If nothing else, that sounds far more tolerable than an episode of “Dora the Explorer.” That being said, I’m still holding out hope for a “Spongebob Squarepants” collaboration. The question is: will there be enough room in Cartoon Hockey Town for “Phineas and Ferb” and “The NHL Guardians project”?
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)