Jul 20, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
The NHL signed a huge 10-year TV deal with the NBC Sports Group during the playoffs, leaving some to think that the league left Disney (which owns ABC and ESPN) out in the cold. That doesn’t seem to be true in every sense, though, as the two companies are teaming up on a new promotion.
Starting in the fall of 2011, characters from the Disney Channel show “Phineas and Ferb” will make their way onto NHL merchandise. This post’s main image is an example of that partnership. A press release reveals that the merchandise will extend to “apparel, headwear, house & home products and collectibles.”
If you’re like me and you’ve never heard of this program before, the show has been nominated for a variety of awards and took home a 2010 Daytime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Writing in Animation.” Here’s a quick summary of what the show is all about, via IMDB.com.
An animated comedy about two stepbrothers who find inventive things to do on each day of their summer vacation such as building a roller coaster out of materials you would find in your everyday home like Popsicle sticks, indoor plumbing, etc. Unbeknownst to them, their pet platypus, Perry, leads a double life as a secret agent.
If nothing else, that sounds far more tolerable than an episode of “Dora the Explorer.” That being said, I’m still holding out hope for a “Spongebob Squarepants” collaboration. The question is: will there be enough room in Cartoon Hockey Town for “Phineas and Ferb” and “The NHL Guardians project”?
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 3
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 49
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 61
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)