Jul 20, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
The NHL signed a huge 10-year TV deal with the NBC Sports Group during the playoffs, leaving some to think that the league left Disney (which owns ABC and ESPN) out in the cold. That doesn’t seem to be true in every sense, though, as the two companies are teaming up on a new promotion.
Starting in the fall of 2011, characters from the Disney Channel show “Phineas and Ferb” will make their way onto NHL merchandise. This post’s main image is an example of that partnership. A press release reveals that the merchandise will extend to “apparel, headwear, house & home products and collectibles.”
If you’re like me and you’ve never heard of this program before, the show has been nominated for a variety of awards and took home a 2010 Daytime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Writing in Animation.” Here’s a quick summary of what the show is all about, via IMDB.com.
An animated comedy about two stepbrothers who find inventive things to do on each day of their summer vacation such as building a roller coaster out of materials you would find in your everyday home like Popsicle sticks, indoor plumbing, etc. Unbeknownst to them, their pet platypus, Perry, leads a double life as a secret agent.
If nothing else, that sounds far more tolerable than an episode of “Dora the Explorer.” That being said, I’m still holding out hope for a “Spongebob Squarepants” collaboration. The question is: will there be enough room in Cartoon Hockey Town for “Phineas and Ferb” and “The NHL Guardians project”?
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 38
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators