Jul 20, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
The NHL signed a huge 10-year TV deal with the NBC Sports Group during the playoffs, leaving some to think that the league left Disney (which owns ABC and ESPN) out in the cold. That doesn’t seem to be true in every sense, though, as the two companies are teaming up on a new promotion.
Starting in the fall of 2011, characters from the Disney Channel show “Phineas and Ferb” will make their way onto NHL merchandise. This post’s main image is an example of that partnership. A press release reveals that the merchandise will extend to “apparel, headwear, house & home products and collectibles.”
If you’re like me and you’ve never heard of this program before, the show has been nominated for a variety of awards and took home a 2010 Daytime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Writing in Animation.” Here’s a quick summary of what the show is all about, via IMDB.com.
An animated comedy about two stepbrothers who find inventive things to do on each day of their summer vacation such as building a roller coaster out of materials you would find in your everyday home like Popsicle sticks, indoor plumbing, etc. Unbeknownst to them, their pet platypus, Perry, leads a double life as a secret agent.
If nothing else, that sounds far more tolerable than an episode of “Dora the Explorer.” That being said, I’m still holding out hope for a “Spongebob Squarepants” collaboration. The question is: will there be enough room in Cartoon Hockey Town for “Phineas and Ferb” and “The NHL Guardians project”?
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)