Jul 19, 2011, 7:18 PM EST
It’s not clear exactly how Patrick Kane injured his wrist enough to need surgery. Perhaps he was dealing with some pain during the regular season and playoffs but didn’t think it was a big enough problem until recently. Of course, there are others who cannot help but speculate about how it “really” happened.
That’s the tough thing about being a young hockey star who isn’t shy about having fun; people tend to remember your mistakes and assume that you’ll keep making them. (Even a young Chicago Blackhawks fan asked Kane how he “really” injured his wrist during the team’s convention last weekend.)
Whichever way you slice it, the Blackhawks just want Kane to get healthy again in time for training camp. It sounds like that will be a realistic goal after the team’s doctor Michael Terry announced that Kane underwent successful wrist surgery today, maintaining the six to eight week window of recovery that was originally reported.
“Patrick Kane underwent surgery today to repair a scaphoid fracture in his left wrist. The surgery went very well and we anticipate a full recovery. Patrick will begin doing modified preseason workouts shortly and we hope for a full return to activity in six to eight weeks.”
For all the jokes that are made at Kane’s expense, he’s truly one of the most electrifying talents in the NHL. Special things happen when the puck is on his stick, so hopefully he’ll be healthy enough to display those world-class hands during the 2011-12 season.
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)