Jul 19, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
It’s not clear exactly how Patrick Kane injured his wrist enough to need surgery. Perhaps he was dealing with some pain during the regular season and playoffs but didn’t think it was a big enough problem until recently. Of course, there are others who cannot help but speculate about how it “really” happened.
That’s the tough thing about being a young hockey star who isn’t shy about having fun; people tend to remember your mistakes and assume that you’ll keep making them. (Even a young Chicago Blackhawks fan asked Kane how he “really” injured his wrist during the team’s convention last weekend.)
Whichever way you slice it, the Blackhawks just want Kane to get healthy again in time for training camp. It sounds like that will be a realistic goal after the team’s doctor Michael Terry announced that Kane underwent successful wrist surgery today, maintaining the six to eight week window of recovery that was originally reported.
“Patrick Kane underwent surgery today to repair a scaphoid fracture in his left wrist. The surgery went very well and we anticipate a full recovery. Patrick will begin doing modified preseason workouts shortly and we hope for a full return to activity in six to eight weeks.”
For all the jokes that are made at Kane’s expense, he’s truly one of the most electrifying talents in the NHL. Special things happen when the puck is on his stick, so hopefully he’ll be healthy enough to display those world-class hands during the 2011-12 season.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 6
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)