Jul 19, 2011, 7:18 PM EST
It’s not clear exactly how Patrick Kane injured his wrist enough to need surgery. Perhaps he was dealing with some pain during the regular season and playoffs but didn’t think it was a big enough problem until recently. Of course, there are others who cannot help but speculate about how it “really” happened.
That’s the tough thing about being a young hockey star who isn’t shy about having fun; people tend to remember your mistakes and assume that you’ll keep making them. (Even a young Chicago Blackhawks fan asked Kane how he “really” injured his wrist during the team’s convention last weekend.)
Whichever way you slice it, the Blackhawks just want Kane to get healthy again in time for training camp. It sounds like that will be a realistic goal after the team’s doctor Michael Terry announced that Kane underwent successful wrist surgery today, maintaining the six to eight week window of recovery that was originally reported.
“Patrick Kane underwent surgery today to repair a scaphoid fracture in his left wrist. The surgery went very well and we anticipate a full recovery. Patrick will begin doing modified preseason workouts shortly and we hope for a full return to activity in six to eight weeks.”
For all the jokes that are made at Kane’s expense, he’s truly one of the most electrifying talents in the NHL. Special things happen when the puck is on his stick, so hopefully he’ll be healthy enough to display those world-class hands during the 2011-12 season.
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 17
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 68
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Patrick Kane (fractured clavicle) out 12 weeks after surgery 41
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)