Jul 19, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
It’s not clear exactly how Patrick Kane injured his wrist enough to need surgery. Perhaps he was dealing with some pain during the regular season and playoffs but didn’t think it was a big enough problem until recently. Of course, there are others who cannot help but speculate about how it “really” happened.
That’s the tough thing about being a young hockey star who isn’t shy about having fun; people tend to remember your mistakes and assume that you’ll keep making them. (Even a young Chicago Blackhawks fan asked Kane how he “really” injured his wrist during the team’s convention last weekend.)
Whichever way you slice it, the Blackhawks just want Kane to get healthy again in time for training camp. It sounds like that will be a realistic goal after the team’s doctor Michael Terry announced that Kane underwent successful wrist surgery today, maintaining the six to eight week window of recovery that was originally reported.
“Patrick Kane underwent surgery today to repair a scaphoid fracture in his left wrist. The surgery went very well and we anticipate a full recovery. Patrick will begin doing modified preseason workouts shortly and we hope for a full return to activity in six to eight weeks.”
For all the jokes that are made at Kane’s expense, he’s truly one of the most electrifying talents in the NHL. Special things happen when the puck is on his stick, so hopefully he’ll be healthy enough to display those world-class hands during the 2011-12 season.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)