Jul 19, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
It’s not clear exactly how Patrick Kane injured his wrist enough to need surgery. Perhaps he was dealing with some pain during the regular season and playoffs but didn’t think it was a big enough problem until recently. Of course, there are others who cannot help but speculate about how it “really” happened.
That’s the tough thing about being a young hockey star who isn’t shy about having fun; people tend to remember your mistakes and assume that you’ll keep making them. (Even a young Chicago Blackhawks fan asked Kane how he “really” injured his wrist during the team’s convention last weekend.)
Whichever way you slice it, the Blackhawks just want Kane to get healthy again in time for training camp. It sounds like that will be a realistic goal after the team’s doctor Michael Terry announced that Kane underwent successful wrist surgery today, maintaining the six to eight week window of recovery that was originally reported.
“Patrick Kane underwent surgery today to repair a scaphoid fracture in his left wrist. The surgery went very well and we anticipate a full recovery. Patrick will begin doing modified preseason workouts shortly and we hope for a full return to activity in six to eight weeks.”
For all the jokes that are made at Kane’s expense, he’s truly one of the most electrifying talents in the NHL. Special things happen when the puck is on his stick, so hopefully he’ll be healthy enough to display those world-class hands during the 2011-12 season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)