Jul 19, 2011, 10:52 AM EDT
When the Anaheim Ducks acquired Andrew Cogliano from Edmonton for a 2013 second round pick, they were hoping to have acquired the third line center that could be the next coming of Todd Marchant. Marchant was a speedy penalty killer and solid guy up the middle that the Ducks thought highly of, but with his retirement they had a need at center. Enter Cogliano and now the Ducks can say they’ve at least got him locked away for the short term future.
Anaheim avoided going to arbitration with Cogliano and signed him to a three-year contract worth $7.17 million in all. Through his four years in Edmonton, Cogliano has been a steady 30-40 point per year player. On the high-scoring Ducks he won’t be relied upon for a lot of offense and getting that sort of production from the third line would be a big lift. Guys like Marchant and Kyle Chipchura in the past weren’t big point producers but they defended well enough. If Cogliano can help shut down opponents and continue to chip in like that offensively, the Ducks will be better off for it.
After all, the Ducks roll with a top line featuring Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf, and Corey Perry and they can provide enough offense for some teams for a full season. Should Teemu Selanne come back again, the second line will feature him along with elder statesmen Saku Koivu and Jason Blake once again. Getting things figured out depth-wise was a priority for Ducks GM Bob Murray and getting a bit younger by acquiring Cogliano was a good way to do it.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)