Jul 18, 2011, 5:55 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have already dealt with a couple important retirement questions during this off-season. That’s the price they pay for leaning on a veteran-heavy roster. So far, the team is batting .500; Brian Rafalski raised some eyebrows when he decided to retire while Nicklas Lidstrom produced sighs of relief by deciding against it.
Detroit faces one more big question (well, two if you count the unlikely prospect of Mike Modano returning) in the form of goalie Chris Osgood. It’s tough to tell which way Osgood and the Red Wings will lean; Detroit already has Jimmy Howard and Joey MacDonald locked up to multi-year deals, but MacDonald could just be in the mix for insurance purposes. (Osgood played just 11 games in a injury-ravaged 2010-11 season and MacDonald’s deal is a two-way contract.)
Those injury issues – not to mention what must have been a fulfilling career for a goalie who continuously proved doubters wrong – would make Osgood’s retirement justifiable. That being said, the 38-year-old goalie has every right to decide when he wants to hang up his goalie pads for good (as long as someone is willing to employ him).
With that coin toss in mind, it should be interesting to see what Osgood and the Red Wings will announce during a conference call scheduled for Tuesday. Red Wings GM Ken Holland visited Osgood last weekend to determine if the veteran goalie wanted to come back for another year. Various outlets indicate that signs (particularly the fact that it will be a conference call rather than a press conference held at Joe Louis Arena) point to Osgood coming back for another season as Howard’s backup, but we’ll have to wait and see what actually happens.
Either way, expect PHT to provide insight and analysis regarding the decision (and perhaps Osgood’s legacy).
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)